Author Topic: Deserted Island Historical Figures Draft  (Read 60622 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Deserted Island Historical Figures Draft
« on: August 10, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
The Goal: Pick the most interesting group of individuals from throughout history to join you on you on a deserted island for the rest of your life.

How this works
We go in turns one at a time picking people from history to be on our list. You can't take a person that has already been selected. When we're done we compare lists and everybody votes on which they like best. The fun is in seeing what/who interests the other pickers, and trying to pick people you want on your list before somebody else takes them.

Tournament Seeding (draft order in parentheses)
  • drakkenkorin (6)
  • micah (8)
  • JaWiB (5)
  • ober (4)
  • Duwenbasden (3)
  • kermi3 (1)
  • charlie (2)
  • axon (7)
  • PJYelton (9)

Draft results by round
Draft results by person

I encourage anybody with even a little bit of interest to participate. The more people there are, the more fun it is. If you're worried about any of the details I'll help you through it. Just give it a go!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:42:58 PM by charlie »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Official Rules - Deserted Island Historical Figures Draft
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 06:42:47 PM »
You don't have to read all this, but if you have a specific question about how this thing works, look here...

Official Rules (Important rules in red.)

Participation

• All participants will declare their desire to participate by saying so explicitly in a comment in this thread.
  • Anybody who asks to join the draft after it has begun can do so but must wait at least one full round before they can start choosing. Please feel free to join if we just started but you didn't sign up yet. The more the merrier.

Selection Rules

• The premise is that you're on a deserted island but with plenty of food and drink. You have no entertainment except for the companionship of a group of people selected from throughout human history to join you.
  • You can pick anybody who you reasonably believe is/was a real person. For example, you can't pick Santa Claus, but you can pick Saint Nicholas.
  • You cannot pick somebody from your private life. In other words, no picking your wife, kids, best friend, another ES poster, etc.
  • Picking a person who isn't considered part of "history" (e.g. a famous actor/actress, athlete, or writer) is fine.
  • Picking a person who is still alive is fine.
  • Once a person is selected, nobody else can pick that person.
  • Please PM me if you have a specific question about whether a person is eligible.
  • Posting an image and a link to wikipedia or any other site with information about the person would be helpful (but is not required). The more information you post, including why you made your pick, the more interesting the draft is. Please post at least enough information to clearly identify who you are talking about.

Draft Specifics

• The draft order will be determined by random draw via http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm. I promise I won't cheat.
  • The draft will be a snake draft, meaning that whoever has the last pick in one round will have the first pick in the next. For example, if we have six people they will pick like this: 1-2-3-4-5-6-6-5-4-3-2-1-1-2-3...
  • There will be 12 rounds, meaning everybody gets 12 picks. This is open for discussion.
  • Each person will have 24 hours to make their pick. However, Saturday and Sunday don't count (although you can still pick on the weekends if it is your turn). The 24 hours starts after the previous person's pick or after the previous person's 24 hours expires (whichever comes first).
  • Simply posting the name of your selection in this thread is enough to count it as being selected.
  • If your turn is approaching and you know you will be away from the internet, you can PM your selection to me or the person scheduled to pick after you. You can also simply announce that you will be away and that your 24 hours can be skipped as a courtesy.
  • If your turn has been skipped, you may at any time make your pick for that turn. However, you cannot pick a person who has already been selected after your turn was skipped. If somebody else picked your person then you are out of luck.

Judging

• When the draft is complete, we will have a tournament style playoff of all lists. All ES members will be allowed to vote in each round of the playoffs.
  • The draft participants will be seeded according to another run of the randomizer that created the draft order. Some people will likely end up with a bye in the first round based simply on the luck of the draw.
  • You will have until a few days after the draft to make up any missed picks. Anybody with more missed selections than actual selections will not be eligible for the tournament.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Historical Figures Draft Results by Round
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:42:57 PM »
Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 8

Round 9

Round 10

Round 11

Round 12

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:05:41 PM by charlie »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Historical Figures Draft Results by Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:06:20 PM by charlie »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Deserted Island Historical Figures Draft
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »
Ok, now is the time to discuss rule modifications, additions or deletions, and to declare your participation. This was originally micah's idea, I just made up rules based on how I thought it would work best to be run (and because I like to be rather open-ended about what people are allowed to pick). So if anybody has better ideas, and micah especially, please say so in this thread.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
I'm in. The only suggestion I have, and I'm not sure best way to phrase this, but I say no picking someone solely on looks or sex appeal.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
I'm in
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 08:34:53 PM »
In.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 08:36:40 PM »
I'm in. The only suggestion I have, and I'm not sure best way to phrase this, but I say no picking someone solely on looks or sex appeal.

+1, we already head that contest.

/I'm in too
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 08:44:02 PM »
Cool...

My thinking on not explicitly disallowing sex appeal based picks was in case somebody wanted to add just one or two people based on hotness to round out their islands with a diverse group of people. (It's also a somewhat gray area that can be hard to enforce.)

But I'm certainly on board with making sure everybody focuses on the "interesting" part of the historical person rather than physical features.

So do you want to strongly discourage sexiness picks or just disallow them outright?

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »
With this group I'm sure discouraging is just fine.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
I'm in.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »
Oh this one is gonna be really hard - sure I'm in.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 12:58:37 AM »
I'll try this then
GO AWAY

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 07:52:27 AM »
can we get a point of clarification on the premise?

are we going for notoriety of historical significance (which might include villainous characters who changed history but who we might not want to be friends with) or just people we want on our island (to help build a shelter, purify sea water, build a radio from coconuts, entertain us with witty banter or their intelligence and maybe have sex with)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."