Author Topic: Deserted Island Historical Figures Draft  (Read 60614 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Deserted Island Historical Figures Draft
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 11:47:22 PM »
JaWiB, that means you're up.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 02:22:38 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

You've all probably heard of and know a bit about Thomas Edison, but Nikola Tesla was, in my opinion, a much cooler scientist/engineer/inventor and much more worthy of fame. Turns out, Edison was pretty much a douche to Tesla. Even while Tesla proposed alternating current transmission for electric power, Edison did everything he could to make AC seem more dangerous and inferior to DC. We all know how that contest ended up--except for the fact that Tesla ended up completely broke despite being a pioneer of one of the most important technologies we still use today. The fact that he claimed to have invented some very unbelievable devices only adds to his intrigue; I still wonder if we might find some of those claims had more truth than people gave him credit for.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

You've all probably heard of and know a bit about Thomas Edison, but Nikola Tesla was, in my opinion, a much cooler scientist/engineer/inventor and much more worthy of fame. Turns out, Edison was pretty much a douche to Tesla. Even while Tesla proposed alternating current transmission for electric power, Edison did everything he could to make AC seem more dangerous and inferior to DC. We all know how that contest ended up--except for the fact that Tesla ended up completely broke despite being a pioneer of one of the most important technologies we still use today. The fact that he claimed to have invented some very unbelievable devices only adds to his intrigue; I still wonder if we might find some of those claims had more truth than people gave him credit for.

its funny too because, had Edison succeeded in suppressing AC power, we'd be screwed because you can't transmit DC over long distance. We never would have had the electrical revolution and would still be stuck in the mid-industrial age.

speaking of Tesla, did you ever see the movie: The Prestige?  good flick
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 09:16:03 AM »
So its my turn now!

For my first pick, I'll go with one of my favorites Edgar Allan Poe.

That way, he can entertain me with scarry stories around the camp fire on the island :p
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
speaking of Tesla, did you ever see the movie: The Prestige?  good flick
Heh, I was just about to bring up "Plus he invented the teleportation device!"

Oh, and Charlie, is there any actualy controversy whether or not Jesus existed?  I don't think anyone doubts that he was a real person, though son of God is obviously debatable.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »
Oh, and Charlie, is there any actualy controversy whether or not Jesus existed?  I don't think anyone doubts that he was a real person, though son of God is obviously debatable.

I'm not entirely sure. I've seen people argue that the stories of Jesus were just an amalgamation of a bunch of other stories from that time period, including many from some Egyptian dude named Horus. I guess that could imply that he didn't exist, but I've always been under the assumption that he was a real person.

If he wasn't, he isn't going to be much fun on the island.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
Egyptian King Khufu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khufu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyramid_of_Giza

I would like to know how these guys really did everything - where there aliens helping them? :)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 01:53:02 PM »
I'm liking this draft already.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »
By the way, you're up micah.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2009, 09:15:10 AM »
This draft is moving slower than molasses in January.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 09:46:25 AM »
sorry, i've been busy... its probably already my turn again and I missed my first pick.  I'll post soon when I have a few minutes.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2009, 10:39:17 AM »
Since it was the weekend, you just timed out a few hours ago. So PJYelton, you're up.

micah and Duwenbasden can each post their first pick whenever they want.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 11:44:48 AM »
Ok, gotta go with my hero, the eccentric inventor jack of all trades, Leonardo Da Vinci:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

I would just love to pick his brain even for a few minutes to see his thought process in action.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 11:46:04 AM »
And with my second round pick, me being such an astronomy enthusiast I'd love to scan the night sky from my island with the man who made it all possible by vastly improving the telescope, Galileo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »
Oh, and I'd like to add an extra rule to our draft, similar to the first draft we did where we were allowed to pick someone at the peak in their lives.  Can we do the same here?  I have a few people in mind who I'd like to have on my island at a certain time in their life before they might have become crazy/irrelevent/ridiculed/etc.