Entertainment & Artistry > Music

New music stereo setup

(1/3) > >>

hans:
So I've been looking into swapping out my soundbar for regular speakers again. While I like the idea of the floor speakers I don't think that's going to happen in the room. So I'm looking at some bookshelves and thinking about doing a dual sub solution. I like the idea of going with the Elac Debut B6 but think I might be better off going with the Focal 706s instead of buying something and upgrading again. I've been thinking a pair of SVS subs, either the SB-1000 or the SB12-NSD. The smaller sealed ones might make a bit more sense in my living room and I like the idea of a bit tighter bass response. Thoughts? Ideas?

KnuckleBuckett:
I like the Focal idea.  Very high quality and that brand never disappoints. 

Subs are a tough call.  Get one?  Two?  SVS, JL, or Revel?  I don't currently have a set, however my speakers being floor standers are fairly close to full range.  I used to have a pair of Sunfire subs and but the Wilsons are so freaking fast and effortless that the subs simply could not time align with the Wilsons.  I sold them and never replaced them.  I rarely miss them, but yeah I have to admit having a full set of super fast subs tuned for the room would be awesome.  I would advise to get the sub with the best room acoustic setup system.

hans:
So I'm pondering a pair of Wavecrest HVL-1 at the moment. They're just as cheap as the Elac and seem to get just about as good of reviews. I like the idea of the front port since I'm probably not going to be able to put them too far out into my room. And they only sell the one thing so it has to be halfway decent at least right?

hans:
Mmmm. Just watched a couple demo videos for the KEF Q100s and I'm really impressed. I sort of dismissed KEF early for their looks but they sound really nice from what I've been watching. Those all in one woofers are pretty slick. A local shop has the LS50s and the Elac series so I might go take a listen this weekend. For a cheaper set the Q100s are definitely on the list of possible. Too many options now though. The local shop also has some Dali speakers too and I'm pretty sure when I was there grabbing the new cartridge for my turntable they were playing through a set of Zensor 1's that sounded really nice so they're in the mix too.

KnuckleBuckett:
I have never heard anything from Dali that I liked, when compared to similar priced competition.  They are more about looks than sound in my experience.  Admittedly, it has been a few years.  I doubt things have changed though.  KEF has really built a nice reputation and the LS50 is an important part of that.  Let me know what you think after the demo.  Remember, when demoing, always bring your music and always listen to each track All the way through.  If you don't want to finish the song then there is likely an issue.  The issue might be in differing electronics, but it is the clearest sign of strain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version