Author Topic: added some ram and...  (Read 6245 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
added some ram and...
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 11:59:24 AM »
Quote from: axon
if it is not a good idea to put four chips in there, why would they have four slots?

I'm sitting here trying to come up with a really crafty reply to your logic, but my brain is fried and I'm stressed out because of work.

In short, your logic is flawed.  Just because they give you the option, that doesn't mean you should necessarily take advantage of it.  You're mixing 4 different (most likely) clock speeds.  The RAM is only going to be clocked as fast as the slowest clock.  I'm going to guess that the new chip you bought is basically shit quality.  The latency is probably 3+ and it's dragging your other chips down with it.

Do some research.  You'll find that it's not a great idea.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
added some ram and...
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
added some ram and...
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
What kind of speed do you get if you use just the 2 new simms on their own, compared to just the 2 original simms?

Dumah

• Jackass IV
added some ram and...
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 12:21:44 PM »
Ober's probably right. Different speed memory mixing doesnt give too much of an advantage.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
added some ram and...
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 12:22:29 PM »
I haven't tried that yet...give me a few mins ;)
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
added some ram and...
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 12:46:35 PM »
leaving the two new chips only sped up the system somewhat...but then I rearranged them so that I have the two new ones first, and the two original second, and it is much quicker! works great.

Thanks guys, I didn't know that the order in which the chips are placed matters that much. :)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
added some ram and...
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 12:14:20 AM »
It can, i didnt used to think that it made sense either. Then i mixed them around like you did and it all fell into place. Glad to see ya got it worked out.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?