Author Topic: Wireless network  (Read 2986 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Wireless network
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
Ok... I realize I'm asking a lot of networking questions... but bear with me.

I have a Dell laptop at home... connected to a secure wireless network with a Linksys router.  My Tivo also connects to the network wirelessly.  Both work completely fine.

I recently got a laptop from work and wanted to connect it as well.  So I took it home, entered the encryption key and it connects, but it takes forever.  And when it does finally connect, it reports that the speed and signal are full strength (54mbps and 100%, respectively).  Despite that, it says the connection has "limited or no connectivity".  It doesn't fucking make sense.

My company has policies on the laptop that require the windows firewall to be on... so I'm suspecting that.  However, I've connected to hotel wireless networks just fine.

Ideas?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Wireless network
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »
Been there done that.  Firewall.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:16:31 AM »
Firewall++;

Honestly, in most places, having the wireless secured is pointless. I'm all about security, but since i dont have any neighbors up my ass and i keep my laptop pretty well locked down i keep mine open so i dont have to deal with this crap. Was the hotel's wireless encrypted? How about your wireless at work? If both of them were secured and did not have these issues, we need to look at the setup of your network vs the laptop and do some adjusting for optimal performance.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 10:18:43 AM »
Hotel was not secure and we don't use wireless at work.  Hmm... so I wonder who I have to bribe to get them to change the firewall settings?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »
Ask them to make two security profiles
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 10:21:27 AM »
also if your router has the feature, try changing your encryption type

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 11:51:52 AM »
They're never going to create another profile for me.

And I could change the encryption type, but then I'd have to modify my Tivo and my other laptop.  F that.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »
yea it depends on how much you care if the work laptop gets on or not.