Author Topic: Hyperthreading on quad cores?  (Read 2316 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Hyperthreading on quad cores?
« on: July 14, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
Do quad cores have hyperthreading technology?

I've been looking into virtualization at work again and was thinking if we got a dual quad core server, we'd have 16 virtual CPUs to play with but I've been reading that with the switch to multi-core, Intel dropped the hyperthreading. So that means we'd really only have 8 cores to play with. I've been looking into the cloud computing thing and just trying to figure out where the cross over points are for the number of servers, virtual instances, to make it better to just get a couple servers in house and do the cloud computing thing internally.

I shied away from the virtualization concept a little while ago but with some new stuff we're going I've grown interested again.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Hyperthreading on quad cores?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:28:44 PM »
Huh? HT was kind of a half ass way of simulating multiuple cores, no need ofr it now
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 05:39:29 PM »
There is if I don't want to build a quad-quad core box. And since the applications I'm running wouldn't chew up the entire processing power of the cores, I could be just fine with HT and run more VM's on the same hardware. Waste my money on RAM and hard disks instead.

Would be nice to be able to have between 10-16 VM's on a box.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
I only read your question not the rest. Seems you answered your own question two lines down.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?