Technical & Scientific > Software

Work related communication tools

(1/5) > >>

ober:

--- Quote from: micah on January 27, 2016, 12:17:33 AM ---we have a whole hipchat chat-room dedicated to this show at work.  I haven't seen it.

--- End quote ---
Slack > Hipchat

hans:
Ryver > Slack
Geeez. http://www.ryver.com/ryver-vs-slack/

Seriously, I'm not sure Ryver is better. We've been using it lately with a client and Slack has a much better UI. Ryver has some good additional features but I can't say I actually like it better. Even Hipchat has a better UI feel.

micah:

--- Quote from: tgm on January 27, 2016, 05:59:03 PM ---Ryver > Slack
Geeez. http://www.ryver.com/ryver-vs-slack/

Seriously, I'm not sure Ryver is better. We've been using it lately with a client and Slack has a much better UI. Ryver has some good additional features but I can't say I actually like it better. Even Hipchat has a better UI feel.

--- End quote ---
Yea, slacks gotten some major press/steam in the last year or 2 (and I'm not actually familiar with Ryver) but my teams been on hipchat for a while and now its use is being mandated company wide with the new work-from-home policy.  Plus we're kinda already in the Atlassian echo-sphere, using JIRA and Confluence (and soon probably switching to bitbucket from beanstalkapp)

Mike:
Micah, mind if I pick your brain regarding atlassian?  I've used Jira at other places but we are more interested in the entire ecosystem to try and get things talking to each other more automagically

ober:
Slack is used by roughly half of our company.  Unfortunately our main IT manager hates it because she claims she never gets the notifications (but I don't think she used the Windows app, which I love).  So she won't officially endorse Slack so we still have random people on random IM clients which is annoying.  So I run Pidgin and Slack.

At work we use Mercurial which is tied directly into our ALM (CodeBeamer).  I use Bitbucket for my personal projects though and I like it.  I use the SourceTree app to interface with it.  It's ok... better than Tortoise Workbench.  But we also use a mercurial plugin for Eclipse which has a really nice integration.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version