Author Topic: Old Fashioned Pinball Rivalry  (Read 4911 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Old Fashioned Pinball Rivalry
« on: September 11, 2021, 08:51:09 PM »
The town I live in has a few arcades (yep they exist here still).  There is one that my boys and I frequent, and I have developed a rivalry with the manager. He got a new Stranger Things pinball machine in and I got the high score - like 125 million.  A month later, my son came home and said... "Hey, the manager said he beat your high score." 

So today we went back over there and I said to the manager, "So... who has the high score on Stranger Things?" 
He grinned and said, "I do." 
I said... "Well not for much longer!"
We both laughed.

Score to beat was 225 million (which isn't a lot... but after about 30 bucks in tokens, it wasn't looking good for me)  I had three credits left in the machine... and all of a sudden I put up a good run - 288 million!  The manager had stepped out, and so I told his employee to add me to their "High scores software" (which they keep to ensure the top score isn't lost on machine restarts and whatnot).  I cannot wait until he beats my high score.  It's on!

https://youtu.be/4ahf2Be1f_o
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Old Fashioned Pinball Rivalry
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 01:21:39 AM »
Time to join the IFPA.

Not sure if it's well known that I actually play competitively.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 06:41:42 AM »
Haha... well these are nowhere near competitive scores - as I am sure you know.  Just a friendly rivalry.  That is awesome that you play competitively though... I did not know this!
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 06:45:58 AM »
So in the IFPA... can you mechanically move the machine as long as you don't tilt?  I get a little aggressive at times heh...

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 12:54:32 PM »
What type of pinball doesn't allow for love taps?  Isn't that why there is a tilt sensor?

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 05:45:19 PM »
 :lol:

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 08:06:24 PM »
Uh, ya. Nudging is huge part of the game at the competitive level. If you ain't tilting you ain't trying.

There are a few moves that aren't allowed, like death saves, but it's definitely part of the game.

One of the more epic shoves I've seen:
https://youtu.be/NzZFMUdxGj0?t=3138

But seriously, if you enjoy the game and want to get better I do have a few channels I can share for folks and there are quite a few Twitch streamers too (myself included).

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 10:56:23 PM »
Hahah... he slid it across the floor... :lol:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »
Wait, there are competitive leagues for this!?!  hans!  I didn't know you were competitive with it!  I thought you just collected them for fun!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 12:18:10 PM »
Amazing channel for how to play tutorials, basic skills and old tournaments.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PAPApinball

Probably the gold standard for streamers:
https://www.youtube.com/user/IEPinball/videos
https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball

And I'll be out in Green Bay area (district82.com) next month for the super event there that'll be streamed by this channel:
https://www.twitch.tv/foxcitiespinball

They're probably the most active right now since pinball sort of got the pause button during covid. But it's starting to spin up again.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 11:37:58 AM »
Thanks... cool stuff!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 05:53:47 PM »
Quick game on the local one tonight.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »
Second game. Needed the warm up.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 06:59:33 PM »
Hahaha... handily beat my score!

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »
My son beat my high score on our local machine.  So now I have to get past 315 mil.