Author Topic: Got an ultrawide monitor!  (Read 6319 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Got an ultrawide monitor!
« on: February 14, 2022, 08:45:18 AM »
So I was going to buy my son a new monitor so he'd have a second one and I was shopping around and was looking at the ultrawide monitors.  I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted and they're pretty expensive.  But I was about halfway there on the monitor I was going to get my son and figured... why not?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PZR2YY4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

The price is bouncing around a lot.  It was $760 when I bought it which is down from $1200 when it came out.  So far I'm digging it.  It's great for gaming and I'm still getting used to it for work.  I'm used to one horizontal and one vertical 27" monitor so the width is going to take some getting used to.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Got an ultrawide monitor!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 09:46:09 AM »
I used to have an ultra-wide (curved) monitor at my last job. I loved it. I found it to be a huge step up from two monitors as you can actually have your main work right in front of you with context on each side.

The only thing I disliked about it was screen sharing... you end up sharing a crazy wide resolution that doesn't fit other peoples windows.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 09:52:15 AM »
Oh I haven't run into that yet but this is my first day using it for work (just got it on Saturday).  But I also typically only share single windows, not my screen.  I wonder if there is a way around it?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 10:30:30 AM »
Oh that thing must be a beast. I have a 34" and it's substantial. I do love working on the ultrawide though.
I might get one of those for my racing sim though.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 10:31:44 AM »
How well does windows support subdividing the screen?  I know in normal monitors it can do left, right, top, and bottom halves and quarters but for something like that I'd be looking at thirds.  Also video game support would be crucial.

> But I also typically only share single windows, not my screen
I often have to share a desktop (screen) to show dialogs, select options, etc that don't show up in tab or window shares.  Or if I'm moving between code and browser.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »
The 49" feels wider than 2 27" which is basically what it's supposed to be.  I love the freedom to place windows wherever I want.

How well does windows support subdividing the screen?  I know in normal monitors it can do left, right, top, and bottom halves and quarters but for something like that I'd be looking at thirds.  Also video game support would be crucial.
I have used power toys (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/) for a while with the 'Fancy Zones' to manage window positioning primarily because of the vertical monitor that I had before.  Windows 11 has 'better' window management even for the ultra-wide but I still wanted to customize it further so I'm still using PowerToys for that.  I have it currently split almost in 3rds but the middle one is wider than the outer 2.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 12:11:13 PM »
Nice

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 03:29:29 PM »
Oh I haven't run into that yet but this is my first day using it for work (just got it on Saturday).  But I also typically only share single windows, not my screen.  I wonder if there is a way around it?

I think the way around it is to share individual windows :D

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 05:11:19 PM »
Yeah but there are times when I need to share multiple apps and it would be a pain to switch between a bunch.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 06:06:15 PM »
Use a laptop with the monitor plugged in and the move everything to the laptop's screen.  Easy ;)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 09:13:16 AM »
Yeah, if I ever had to share an entire desktop I'd do it from my laptop screen. Another approach is to just buy everyone an ultra wide monitor so they can maximize the screen share window :)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2022, 10:37:43 AM »
With all the troubles that Mac has with multiple external monitors maybe I should get an ultrawide.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »
With all the troubles that Mac has with multiple external monitors maybe I should get an ultrawide.

What kind of troubles? I've used multiple monitors and even use my iPad as an extra at times.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2022, 03:56:53 PM »
The main issue is that it can't or won't reliably remember the arrangement of multiple monitors.  This is exacerbated if you use a dock as both monitors are using the same port on the laptop.  It seems to happen mostly if you are using like monitors.

Common occurrence is I'll unplug and when I plug back in the monitors have swapped positions, unplug and plug back in and maybe it'll be back to the original position.  Oh, and if you do that too fast the laptop will just crash (gives a nice sound as the fans spin up to highest speed between the time the OS crashes and the power shuts off).

Since I go back and forth between home and office this is like a 3 times a week occurrence.  At home I use a dock but at work I use individual adapters but even those mess up if I don't plug them in the correct order.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 07:54:00 AM »
Gotta tell you... I wouldn't go back now that I have one.  It's awesome!