Author Topic: Headache / nausea with modern games  (Read 4741 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Headache / nausea with modern games
« on: June 22, 2023, 02:05:19 PM »
So the last few games I've tried there has been a period of headache/nausea when I start playing them.  This last game (The Outer Worlds) I had to turn off head bob, widen the FOV, turn off chromatic aberration, and turn off motion blur.  I don't remember having to do all this stuff 10 years ago.  Back then it was just setting the graphics settings for quality and maybe playing with rendering for performance.

Anyone else getting old and having to do this?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Headache / nausea with modern games
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 11:20:17 PM »
Maybe something to do with the frame rate? Motion blur definitely drives me nuts though. I can't say I play enough action games to help, I'm most city builders and racing simulators.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 10:39:11 AM »
Sometimes it does have to do with the frame rate, especially if there is tearing.  But generally I can keep a decent enough frame rate to avoid that.  Motion blur is definitely an issue.  It is like they forget that our eyes and brains are really good at keeping a still picture when turning your head.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 10:21:22 AM »
Do you have a wide screen?  That can mess with you, especially if you recently moved to one.  I hate the motion blur in games.  It's so over-done.  I don't generally have an issue with it and I have an ultra-wide monitor (49").  Some of my games aren't built to support it which makes it worse.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 02:05:22 PM »
I do have an ultrawide (your fault) and it did take a bit of time to get used to it but it has been almost a year now.

Cyberpunk didn't seem to cause me any problems (in fact it was AWESOME with the ultrawide). So, maybe it is just certain games that don't know how to use the features appropriately.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 05:17:15 PM »
LOL you're welcome?  Cyberpunk is on my list.  But I'm too busy playing RDR2 (second playthrough).

Rocket League and Farming Simulator don't have great ultrawide support but it doesn't bother me in those games.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2023, 06:57:08 PM »
> Farming Simulator
That feels very Ohio

> RDR2
I should play that some time

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 08:36:13 PM »
So... I'm a big fan of simulators in general but farming simulator is like a big sandbox, especially on PC with mods.  You can do farming but there is a big portion of the game based on logging and there is a decent amount of the user base and a ton of mods dedicated to mining and related productions.  I know I sound like a giant nerd but I also play it because I grew up on a farm and I get to play with all the big expensive machines that our family farm didn't have/couldn't afford.  Plus the game in general has one of the biggest/most active modding communities I've interacted with.

RDR2 is like GTA5 for the wild west.  There is SOOO much detail in this game.  And it's so optimized and beautiful for such a big world.  I saw other people playing it but never really knew much about it.  I would recommend it to anyone.  Both of my kids are playing it too.  My first playthrough was about 120 hrs and I could have easily doubled that or more.  I didn't complete more than about 30% of the possible objectives.