Author Topic: "Computers"  (Read 2895 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
"Computers"
« on: August 17, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »
I was reading a thread on reddit where a commenter said most people buy cheap computers. It was a thread about macbook air screen cracking. That got me thinking. Other than for work, do "most" people even use laptops/desktops or what we might have used to call computers? Seems to me that most people would be using their phones/tablets now.

And side question: do you call phones/tablets, "computers"? I mean, they are, but I don't think we call them that. And equally funny is I don't think laptops are usually in the "mobile devices" category are they?
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: "Computers"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 03:29:48 PM »
I use my desktop computer most of the time but if I'm catching up on news/browsing reddit I am on my phone.  My wife primarily uses her ipad but has a laptop for windows specific things.  My kids stopped using their tablets a while ago and mainly use their desktop computers for gaming.  My daughter has a chromebook that she uses for watching youtube.

We do not call phones/tablets 'computers'.  I agree that they are but that seems... wrong.  Agreed also on laptops not being mobile devices despite the fact that they are indeed... mobile.  lol

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 11:04:11 AM »
I haven't had my own "computer" (desktop/laptop) since I was in university. That said, I've always been allowed to use my work issued device for personal use. Still, I'd say 99% of my "personal" computing I do on my phone.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 07:53:43 AM »
I can use my work laptop for whatever but 1) I don't like doing personal things on it and 2) I game on my desktop so that's my 'hobby'.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 06:49:32 PM »
I PC game so I use it a lot.

I don't mind using my phone for quick research but for anything in depth I use my PC.  Same for watching videos.  I've never been able to find the right "fit" for tablet usage.

As for mobile/not mobile:  Can you use the device easily while walking or riding in a car (cause I know you'd never do it while driving)?  A phone or tablet is yes but a laptop is a no (or a really awkward yes).

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 03:00:20 PM »
Yeah most folks I know (who granted have the funds to have separate computers) do a lot of stuff on their phones but still have a desktop or laptop for personal use. Everybody in our immediate family has their own personal desktop/laptop in addition to phones and sometimes iPads. They're just used for different things. My youngest likes to play games and bought a computer with their own money. My oldest bought an iPad for art and stuff but also wanted her own laptop for schoolwork and a little gaming so we split that.

But even outside our family there's just some things that are easier to do on a non-mobile device so it's good to just have a PC or Mac available even if it's a cheap/old one that isn't powerful.