Author Topic: TVs - talk to me  (Read 14065 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: TVs - talk to me
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:08 AM »
You really should go look at them instore. Each one seems to look
different

I already went over that.  Looking at them in the store is of little use.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2011, 01:08:11 PM »
So it showed up last night.  Overall I'm pleased.  A few things of note:

1) it didn't come with all of the screws required to secure it to the base.  All that it is currently connected with is the main thumbscrew.  I actually wonder if I even need the other screws.  There are 4 large 'shafts' holding the TV to the base and I'm not sure what the other screws would even really do for you.
2) I kind of expected it to come with an HDMI cable.  No dice, but no big deal.
3) You definitely have to adjust the settings.  The initial picture is kind of dark and they have some motion stuff turned on that is unnecessary.
4) SD tv is.... ok.  Browsing around various channels looked alright but not great.  We will get access to all the HD stuff today so I'll post more after I see the HD stuff.  However, streaming from Netflix looked fine and stuff we had recorded previously on the Tivo in SD looked fine.  I didn't spend a lot of time just surfing around on the SD channels so maybe it's ok.  We're going to just start using all HD anyways so it doesn't really matter.
5) I am not a fan of the remote.  Thank god I'll be using the Tivo remote for everything.
6) The settings were easy to navigate and figure out and the notes on the Amazon reviews led to a pretty good picture setting but I adjusted it beyond those as well.
7) Overall, I like the size.  42" is pretty large and I can't really picture something bigger.

We may still try it on the mantel just to see what it's like but I think I like it where it is.  The other problem with putting it up there is all the cables I'd have to run.  My DVD/VCR doesn't have HDMI and the Wii doesn't have HDMI.  So the only HDMI port I'm using is from the Tivo.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
Cables suck.  Especially the power cables.

I have hated all remotes after using the Tivo remote.

Might wanna get a Blue-Ray or DVD TV calibration DVD.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »
I don't think most TV's come with HDMI cables.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2011, 08:46:56 AM »
They should.

Ok, so I'll have to update my Time Warner thread but I'll just focus on the TV here.

HD channels look fucking amazing.  Super clear picture, no 'jutter', again a few tweaks to the brightness but the lighting is great.  SD still looks decent but what do you expect?  Now I have to go through the trouble of recreating all of my season passes on the Tivo to point to the HD channels.

The audio is passable.  My wife thinks it is totally fine and I think it's alright.  Given a different situation, I would definitely hook up my speakers again but I don't see how it is possible to mount them without having something really awful looking like some sort of shelf situation above and behind the TV.

My wife wants to try it on the mantle but I really don't think it's going to work.  If nothing else, I'd have to figure out a way to hide all of the cables going to it.  We may end up getting a different TV cabinet to set it on but that will be down the road.  Regardless, we just stripped and painted the mantle (we're redoing the molding in all the downstairs rooms), so we can't even try it for another week to be safe.

By the way, another very cool thing that maybe other TVs have as well... you can rename the inputs.  I think that is a brilliant idea.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2011, 11:14:16 AM »
Welcome to HD. :thumbsup:

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »
Yea i renamed the inputs for the kid's tv, made my life 10000x easier because now he knows exactly which one to choose each time
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
nice choice. we pretty much have the same TV only the 47" version. No problems so far.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.