Author Topic: Tablet discussion  (Read 11227 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Tablet discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 12:42:27 PM »
Thats a pretty sweet deal
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »
Well that's fucking dumb - if you didn't purchase the video files from Amazon, they're not available for streaming from the Cloud.  You can download them to the Fire and play it that way though, I guess.'

edit: You can transfer via USB and play them, not from the Cloud.  I guess you can stream music from the cloud, but that's it.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 03:21:10 PM »
Seems to be a big topic

Bryan L. Wheeler says:
You can't stream you own personal content to the Fire, nor can you even download your Cloud stored content to the Fire. You have to sideload personal content to your Fire, via micro USB connection to your computer. There have been several threads about this annoyance already. :)
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 03:29:40 PM »
Yeah, it took me awhile to figure that out.  That's fucking stupid.  Hopefully that changes.

It doesn't apply to music, though - you can still stream music from the cloud.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »
Man I am REALLY loving my GS Tab right now.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 05:56:16 PM »
Posting from tab.  Once I figured out how to get the video on it, I liked the playback a lot.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »
Govt,

Can you take hand written notes on it?  That's really 75% of the reason I'd want a tablet.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2011, 06:21:54 PM »
I don't think natively, but there are lots of note-taking apps

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2011, 06:24:23 PM »
Is there a pen that comes with it?  You mind giving one a whirl and give us a review?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
I haven't seen a tablet that comes with a stylus in years aside from Wacoms.  That's not what people use most tablets for.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »
I haven't seen a tablet that comes with a stylus in years aside from Wacoms.  That's not what people use most tablets for.
There is a stylus for the iPad (granted it doesn't come with it).  Honestly, I was waiting for the NoteSlate but that looks like a pipe dream at this point.  Would be an incredible boon for me.  My note taking isn't too bad but my notes organization needs some help.  Especially when I'm working on multiple unconnected projects at the same time.

I don't really have a need for a tablet at this point.  I'm rarely far from my computers or laptop and my phone has filled the small void when it does occur.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 12:17:01 AM »
Not sure why you would want to hand-write notes.  I can type WAY faster than I can write.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »
Not sure why you would want to hand-write notes.  I can type WAY faster than I can write.
Mostly for meetings.  I don't like the separation from the others a laptop brings.  Plus, my initial notes are scattered about on a page.  If I'm typing them I'm paying too much attention to formatting and such.  So while the words might get down faster I'm losing a lot in the process.  Besides, I don't write full sentences during the meeting.  Just the stuff I need so that when I get back to my desk I can type up a set of follow-ups and action items.  Plus typing doesn't allow for drawings.

A lesser part is that I like to walk away from my computer and think.  Disconnect myself from the problem and just write down some notes as they come.

So for me, written form is still important to my process.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:52:17 AM by Mike »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 12:59:43 AM »

It has many handy uses. A big one is driving. My CF-19 turns into a tablet, and when I was doing bail bonds i wrote hundreds of notes (like names, bail amounts, etc) when driving. Safer then looking for paper and holding it, etc. Plus you can save them all and not look for notes, papers, napkins, etc.

Plus it saves paper.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2011, 01:39:47 AM »

Many can't.  Plus notes in meetings and during discussions often need quick drawings, arrows, etc.  If I ever get a tablet I want it to have an app that works well with a stylus.