Author Topic: Question for coffee snobs  (Read 2934 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Question for coffee snobs
« on: February 07, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »
I'm considering buying my first burr grinder and stepping up from my run of the mill Braun blade grinder. After much reading, I've narrowed it down to two choices:
The Capresso Infinity
or
Zassenhaus hand grinder

Anyone have/use either of these or recommend another burr grinder for under $100?

I'm sort of leaning towards the Capresso (since I'm lazy) but the Zassenhaus seems like it would be a better grinder (and a workout).
This signature intentionally left blank.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Question for coffee snobs
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
Subquestion: I'm far from a coffee snob, but do you really notice that much difference in taste by grinding your own beans?  What do you suggest for storage?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:25:20 PM »
Grinding vs pre-ground yes. The problem with ground coffee is that is becomes stale quickly (and so do beans but not as fast). Just moving from grounds to bean was a huge step. And now I only grind what I'm going to drink.

A mill grinder will grind most consistently which is supposed to result in better tasting coffee. Not sure how much of an improvement this yields, but from what I've read it's a lot.

For my coffee storage (beans) I use a non see though air tight container. light and air = EVIL

The way I understand it, the coffee snob progression goes something like this:
1. filtered over tap water
2. beans over pre-ground coffee
3. mill over blade grinder
4. fresh beans (local shop) over store shelf beans

Not sure where coffee brewing system comes in there (as 4. or 5.) or what exactly the hierarchy there is. Drip brewing is on the low end I know unless you get a quality machine.

For weekend drinking, I have a french press that works really well and tastes better than my drip maker.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 06:31:08 PM »
Oh and then there's toddy coffee too which is pretty good, but goes south pretty quickly. It's really convenient since it's basically concentrated coffee. I'll make it if I know I've got a lot of coffee drinkers coming over and don't want to have to keep making pot after pot. Plus everyone can get their own strength level.

My dad used to do it all the time when I was younger.

http://www.toddycafe.com/

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
You want good coffee use a vacuum based brew system.

Also if you grind you own, get a seperate grinder for flavored coffees.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:12 PM »
I've got a french press but I didn't like the coffee I bought for it the first time and I haven't used it much.  Plus my fiancee hates the smell of coffee so I usually just use the drip on weekends since I don't have a pot of grounds to deal with then

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 01:46:20 AM »
I like coffee, but I couldn't be arsed grounding my own beans.  I use pre-ground with a plunger.  Works wonders and the coffee tastes great.  I keep my coffee in an air-tight seal container.