Author Topic: Domain Squating  (Read 1225 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Domain Squating
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »
do you guys own any domain names that you don't use?  like you bought them with intent to use them but never did, or for the sole purpose of reselling at a later date? 

I have a few, all of which I purchased with the intent to do something with them. I have one thats my wife's name; another for my daughter.  One is the doing-business-as name I used to use, years ago, for web development but I keep it for sentimental reasons (or something like that)

2 years ago, on election day, about 20 minutes after it became apparent that the House, Senate and Whitehouse all won majorities, I registered the domain name  "OurNewOverlords.com" - a play on the meme made famous from the Simpsons when Kent Brockmen proclaimed, "I -for one- welcome our new insect overlords."   I was thinking I might link it to some sort of political blog or an RSS feed of minority-party news releases.  That, or it would make a cool band name.  Of course, in the end, I did nothing with it.

Its up for renewal in 3 days.  I have no sentimental attachment to it, and it is currently serving no purpose.  But I still think its a cool domain name.  Should I renew?  What would you do?  Do you have any similar domain names that you keep around for no reason?

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Domain Squating
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 09:34:26 AM »
Dump it.  If you're not going to use it, get rid of it.  No need to waste the money.  I don't like to hang on to stuff I'm not using.  The only one I'm not 'using' is my original domain (whproductions.com) and I keep it a) because my hosting account is tied to it and my current business domain is just an addon domain plus I've had that domain for 12 years and I don't want to lose that 'domain age' factor.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Domain Squating
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:54:29 AM »
HAHAHA