Poll

How do you feel about rooting for your team to lose if it will benefit them in the long run?

It's not ok at all, no true fan should do it.
2 (28.6%)
It's ok if others do, but I prefer to always root for a win and let the chips fall where they may.
1 (14.3%)
I can't help but root for a win while I'm watching but in reality I'd prefer that they lose.
1 (14.3%)
I've got no problem rooting for losses if it gives my team a better shot going forward.
1 (14.3%)
Other / when my team sucks I just ignore them and I don't care about the other half of the question.
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Root for a loss?  (Read 3619 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Root for a loss?
« on: November 25, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
There's really two questions here. Do you root for losses when you think they will help the team get better faster? And if not, do you think that someone is not a true fan if they do?

All my favorite teams suck right now, so I've had this discussion a few times and I was curious what you guys think.

Please note that I'm assuming that a loss is actually likely to help the team and that the team has virtually no chance of doing well anyway. This happens most often in basketball, but it could also happen elsewhere.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Root for a loss?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »
I think rooting for a single loss isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I hate stuff like the constant tanking in the NBA to increase your lottery chances.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »
I voted other and it counted my vote for the 4th option.  Weird.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:08:41 PM »
I edited the poll because I wanted to add another option, I didn't think you'd be that quick.

I just reset the votes so you can make a proper choice.

But seriously why vote if you're going to vote other? That's just a joke answer.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »
Because my option isn't really on there.  The 4th option sort of fits, but I think it implies that I'm cool with NBA teams tanking, but like I said, I'm not.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 08:25:37 PM »
Depends on the circumstances. If your a lions fan I would think you want them to keep loosing.

I really thought they had a shot against tb :(
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 08:33:22 PM »
I've got no reason to want them to keep losing.  Millen's already been fired and they've all but locked up the #1 draft pick, which they will inevitably be wasting on a bag of nickels.  Marinelli is going to be fired the minute the season is finished.  Ford will never sell the team, willingly.  Our only hope is to be contracted or for Ford to die or for Ford to be forced to sell the football team to save the company.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:42:56 PM »
Because my option isn't really on there.  The 4th option sort of fits, but I think it implies that I'm cool with NBA teams tanking, but like I said, I'm not.

I'm not really talking about what the team is doing, I'm more talking about rooting for the team while watching them play. Whether or not you condone tanking is really outside the point of the poll.

In the Lions case, you should be rooting for a win because of the horror of a winless season and because as you say they've already pretty much locked up the #1 pick.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:46:40 PM »
OK in that case it is not acceptable unless you have fantasy players on the other team and in that case you must only root for that player and you still must root for your team to win

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 08:50:35 PM »
You realize you've answered the question three different ways already?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »
It is only ok to root against your team if you have money on it

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:50:55 AM »
I voted the second option.  I don't ever outright hope my teams lose.  If they lose and it helps them so be it, but I don't think I could bring myself to root for them to lose.  I'm with cheez on the shit that happens in the NBA.  F that.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
The NBA thing sucks and I'm worried it's gonna start happening in hockey. Teams that suck for a couple seasons come back to be among the strongest in their division because of the good draft picks. Meanwhile teams like the leafs always just suck enough to not make the playoffs, but don't suck hard enough to get good draft picks.

I'd never vote for my team to lose... just couldn't do it.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »
No because it's perverse logic.  "I hate the coach, I hope they sink so he gets fired and we get a new coach next season".  I just couldn't think along those lines.