Author Topic: How do you carry stuff on a run?  (Read 1481 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
How do you carry stuff on a run?
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »
Since I'm trying to train up to longer distances so I don't die when I do the Tough Mudder, I don't think I can avoid carrying water with me on runs anymore.

I'm thinking a running belt will be fine for training, but I don't really want to be wearing one of those race day if I'm going to get muddy and wet within the first mile out of 12.
There'll be water stations, but in something that long, I probably want to carry an energy gel with me.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: How do you carry stuff on a run?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
Many many moons ago when I actually ran I'd carry a hydro-pack on the back.  You can get ones with pockets to hold things like gel packs and other stuff.  It transitioned to cycling where it could hold the lock, keys/wallet, phone, etc.  Sadly it didn't survive to make the transition to hiking so I had to get a new one.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »
I've got one of those silly nathan belts but I can see why you wouldn't want to take that on a Tough Mudder. I'd look at getting shorts with pockets, especially zippered if you can find them

Something like this should work well: http://www.raceready.com/womens-running-shorts/2302.html

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »
Yeah, I just got back from the running store across the street. They have some Amphipods and Fuelbelts, but I'm not doing any long runs this week. I'll use the time to look up comparisons/ask my marathon-runner roommate on opinions.

They also have long sleeve running shirts with zipper pockets on the back or side. I think I'll wait a couple weeks until they have a larger selection (or it's actually cold to run outside) before I buy anything. I'm a little wary of buying something new, expensive, and shiny that will only get very dirty in November. I might go with a very small stretchy belt.

(so what did I buy? Blister kit)

I just didn't think it would be necessary to carry a water belt with me since there are four water/aid stations with a lot of the course looping back around on itself.