Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65205 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2020, 11:38:54 PM »
And the NBA has suspended the season.  Probably a good thing considering that they needs fans in seats to make money.

marshall law
Martial law

Trump has suspended travel to Europe: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/coronavirus-trump-suspends-all-travel-from-europe.html

yeah, holy shit. that's major.

is marshall law not far away if this shit doesn't stop. Here is hoping it gets unseasonably warm quick!
Wasn't travel suspended after the 9/11 attacks for awhile?

NOOOOO, it got Tom Hanks

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2020, 06:24:38 AM »
Our school's are sending home a 14-day "work from home" packet today and, while the have not closed the schools yet, there's is talk that a 2-week shut down is eminent. Especially if any other town in our county does first.   Thats gonna suck for child-care purposes.  My girlfriend got a robocall yesterday from her sons school that a teacher had been "in contact" with someone with the virus... but they didn't say which teacher.

Meanwhile, we have a mysterious meeting schedule at work today for all front-office staff.  Not sure what that's about. Guess I'll find out.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2020, 06:29:50 AM »
NOOOOO, it got Tom Hanks

Really interested to see how their recovery goes.  I think this is the first prominent case of a celebrity, no?  I would think, if they both make full recoveries in a timely manner, it will help alleviate some public fears and reinforce the whole "80% can just treat themselves at home and only 1-3% of cases result in death."  But then again, if one of them dies, I think it will contribute to the public panic significantly; especially in the media.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2020, 08:44:42 AM »
I suspect schools will be closed here as early as tomorrow but definitely next week.  Rumor is that the only reason it hasn't happened yet is that the governor of Ohio is trying to clear red tape around school absences or something.  There have now been reports of kids in schools in the area being exposed to it or testing positive. 

There is a letter circulating from someone in Italy talking about how bad things really are there and how much worse it could get.  Doctors are basically doing war-time triage to determine who is going to get a ventilator.  That's some scary shit!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2020, 10:00:20 AM »
One thing to keep in mind with schools is that for some kids it is a major source of nutrition.  So when determining to close or not that is being taken into account.  In Nov 18 when there was that major fire in Paradise (the Camp Fire) schools closed for a few days and they had to set up a way to get the kids who needed it the food.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »
My company just asked all employees worldwide to work from home unless being in the office is an absolute necessity.

Next week is March break at my kids' schools. There hasn't been any talk of closing them as there's only been one confirmed case in our region (from someone who had returned from Italy).

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2020, 11:03:35 AM »
WHO just called it a pandemic - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/world/coronavirus-news.html

A bunch of people did but most recently it was officially declared by the world health organization.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2020, 11:09:33 AM »
One thing to keep in mind with schools is that for some kids it is a major source of nutrition.  So when determining to close or not that is being taken into account.  In Nov 18 when there was that major fire in Paradise (the Camp Fire) schools closed for a few days and they had to set up a way to get the kids who needed it the food.

Yeah, lots of bad effects of keeping everybody home. Not an easy decision. And of course there will almost certainly be a recession which makes stuff even harder.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
Some of the updates from work today:

a.   At the discretion of their direct supervisors, colleagues who can WFH will be encouraged to do so whenever possible.  If you qualify for WFH, you will hear more about this from your manager. We also encourage you to conduct meetings virtually whenever possible.  (this was already pretty much put into place last week)

b.   Commute transport.  [The Hospital] is contracting to provide multiple dedicated buses, initially for colleagues who commute to the Main Campus from [surrounding areas].  The buses have a capacity of 56 passengers but we will limit riders to 25, and ask that passengers sit separately.

c.   Child care support.  [The Hospital] is contracting with a proven service to provide in-home and facility-based care across the tri-state area.  More information will be provided in tomorrow’s update.

I'm very impressed with this response.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2020, 02:39:19 PM »
Similar info as jKim from my employer.   For us front-office people, we're encouraged to work from home.  For the labor workers (the bulk of the company) it has been made clear that they should not worry about staying home if they are sick or have been exposed to anyone who is sick. This includes being allowed to borrow against and use un-accrued PTO time.

Meanwhile, my town followed suite with the state and just declared a public emergency and, as previously reported, kids are  coming home from school today with work packets to supposedly keep them busy for up to 2 weeks.  The presumption is that the school can/will close as early as tomorrow or next Monday.  For at least a 2 week period.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2020, 04:31:23 PM »
Our governer just announced schools in Ohio will be closed for 3 weeks starting Monday.

On the flip side, my company has said anyone that feels uncomfortable CAN WFH but they have yet to step up and say it is encouraged.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »
Since we are weeks away from launch, my boss is talking to his boss about the programmers WFH.  It needs to go one level higher but it looks like we are going to have our contractors WFH full time and then maintain a skeleton crew onsite.  Management is still so worried about us providing coverage even thought it is really rare we do anything like that.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2020, 09:16:54 PM »
School in my town is officially closed "indefinitely" effective immediately, per the 6pm robo-call I got.  I talked to my brother who lives a little north of Indianapolis and his son's school is closed too.

It's weird how so much of this feels like the days after 9/11, but without all the sadness, patriotism or anger.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2020, 10:04:25 PM »
Is the toilet paper shortage in your area as well, or is this a regional problem?
Everywhere is sold out - super markets, walmart... i'm down to one roll.  This is ridiculous.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2020, 10:53:03 PM »
We did buy a few extra things a few weeks ago, including toilet paper, and there was still plenty of stuff. But the events of the last couple days might have changed that.

Time to learn how to use a tabo.