Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65079 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2020, 10:57:18 PM »
I just got a bidet attachment for the master bath.

Our church just cancelled all events based on the governor's proclamation and the DHS advisories.  The state is also relaxing some of the rules surrounding the Brown act to allow for easier setup of teleconference meetings.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2020, 11:00:45 PM »
Our church just cancelled all events

a reminder, if you give regularly to your church*, make sure you continue to do so when not attending.**  Their general operating budget and community involvement is depending on you

*i do not
** I don't do this either
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2020, 11:11:04 PM »
Our pledges are taken out monthly.

I do wonder what will happen to this month's community partner.  We split the Sunday offering with an different organization per month.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2020, 11:44:04 PM »
Is the toilet paper shortage in your area as well, or is this a regional problem?
Everywhere is sold out - super markets, walmart... i'm down to one roll.  This is ridiculous.

I think everyone around here is out. Here is a suggestion: flush-able wet wipes. Get them tonight or tomorrow morning because I'm sure they will be gone once people start thinking that way. Walmart has a good deal on the 5 pack.

Another suggestion, if you can go take out some cash from the bank - another week of negative gains on the Street and people will be doing a run on banks. Cash will be king again.

Bear minimum, Micah - go get some ramen so that it can last you 2 or 3 weeks - but I hear they are getting short on that as well.

I am of the mind set that it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Some things us boys might not think about: female hygiene products. Tampons can serve multiple purposes.

Toothpaste. Shampoo. Shit like that is important too.

Essential medicine - stock up - this will run out next. If your life depends on it  - make sure you have plenty - I would say 6 months worth.

I doubt it will come to the point that we will "run out" of water - this is far reaching, but hey, have about a 100L handy.

And once you have water and some dry food, ensure you have an alternate way to heat it.

Ammo - whatever makes you comfortable - but it doesn't get old and it doesn't need to be fed.

Speaking of feeding - if you have pets, get food for them for at least a month.

I dunno, even some of my friends (and my wife!) make fun of me for "prepping" - but damn, it sure does make me feel comfortable now. And my wife is thankful too.

Its still not too late - I think you still have at least a week to get your shit in order and your family ready. You don't want to be reliant on the government in times of need.

Power generation and fuel - again, highly unlikely that we will not have power, but there are other situations like bad storms, that knock out our power once or twice a year. A generator is a very practical thing to have. Even a small one to run your fridge and sump pump (in my case). But if you have a generator make sure you have plenty of gas.

I can talk about this shit all day. Let me know if you need some other suggestions.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2020, 11:54:21 PM »
Our kids school is closed starting Monday through April 3rd.  And then they WILL have their normal spring break at the end of that.  So literally a month off of school.  Crazy.  This is getting nuts.  We got groceries tonight.  We are pretty stocked up.  We had toilet paper from a BJs run a bit ago.  I think we're good but if things get crazy we will need to stock up again in about 2 weeks on some stuff.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2020, 11:54:57 PM »
I think everyone around here is out. Here is a suggestion: flush-able wet wipes. Get them tonight or tomorrow morning because I'm sure they will be gone once people start thinking that way. Walmart has a good deal on the 5 pack.

Everything I've seen has said the flushable wipes really shouldn't be flushed.  They don't break up well enough and will still cause clogs.

Better than nothing for a short amount of time though.

Bear minimum, Micah - go get some ramen so that it can last you 2 or 3 weeks - but I hear they are getting short on that as well.
Bare minimum: The smallest possible quantity or the least fulfilling, but still adequate, condition that is required, acceptable, or suitable for some purpose.

Bear minimum: The smallest bear

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2020, 11:57:47 PM »
So, awhile ago I stumbled on a Youtube channel about 18th century cooking.  And while I haven't gone hard core on watching it I have been more keen on it with what is going on.

Like, here is a really simple recipe from 1808:
Take an onion, leave the skins on, and roast it.  Consume with salt and maybe some butter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV9spqCzSkQ

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2020, 06:11:27 AM »
Townsed rocks.  The vids can be a little too shallow sometimes but they are all pretty good.  He recommends some cool reads.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2020, 09:02:07 AM »
Our county's schools are closed for 2 weeks starting this coming Monday. I'm not sure about Spring Break (April 10-17).

Our daycare usually follows suit for emergency school closings (snow) but still no word on what they might do. The whole facility is YMCA, so I'm afraid if the gym/community center part of it closes or reduces capacity that the daycare part will also have to do so.

Our church is moving to online services (sermons) for the next 3 weeks because the college we rent from is pausing classes and thus access to buildings to outside renters. And my giving is all done online anyway which I do not intend on suspending unless I'm on an unpaid furlough.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »
Our schools are closed for three weeks as well, although next week is actually march break so it's only two weeks of closure.

And yeah, toilet paper is totally cleared out from all stores. Luckily have a full pack un-opened and I ordered an extra from Amazon. It should have been delivered yesterday, but I can see at least it's shipped.

My daughters birthday party is tomorrow... we've been debating if we should cancel, but being that the kids are all in school today it doesn't seem like it's much worse for a few of them to get together tomorrow.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2020, 04:19:35 PM »
I think you should have the party, but go over the top to show the kids and their parents that you're doing your best to mitigate viral transmissions.  Have hand sanitizer out, and lysol wipes on the tables.  Serve the cake (perhaps with gloves) and don't let individuals get their own food out of communal bowls etc.

I don't think it would be out of line to ask parents to not bring any child who is currently ill of any cold/virus/flu symptoms.

Make everybody wash their hands before eating and after any activities. 

I think that should be the new normal going forward indefinitely.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2020, 04:26:59 PM »
I think you should have the party, but go over the top to show the kids and their parents that you're doing your best to mitigate viral transmissions.  Have hand sanitizer out, and lysol wipes on the tables.  Serve the cake (perhaps with gloves) and don't let individuals get their own food out of communal bowls etc.

I don't think it would be out of line to ask parents to not bring any child who is currently ill of any cold/virus/flu symptoms.

Yeah, we're doing basically all of that. We've already emailed the parents and said it's fine if you don't want to come, we can do a playdate after the apocalypse. We've also said please don't come if you have meet any of the criteria the government laid out on their website (symptoms, contact with a sick person, travel to a level 3 zone, etc...). We luckily just got some hand sanitizer from my mother-in-law since it's not possible to buy it anywhere.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2020, 04:30:15 PM »
well handled!   and happy birthday to your daughter!

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »

Considering that kids are disease vectors on a good day that seems a good idea even without Covid.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
Our school district just closed the schools for students but still expect employees to go in.