Author Topic: Early morning runs  (Read 7161 times)

ahluka

• Jackass IV
Re: Early morning runs
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 07:59:28 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys :)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 04:11:20 PM »
I guess it depends on the person, if I don't stretch after running I get really stiff.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 06:00:24 PM »
I think the purpose of stretching is more to prevent injury.

My coach also says there are two aspects to power--flexibilty and strength.  You really shouldn't have one without the other.  Not that this applies to you right now, but something to keep in mind. :)

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 07:01:51 PM »
I've read/heard so many conflicting things about stretching. All I know for certain is that 1) some stretching is necessary for any activity and 2) it varies depending on the activity. Here's an interesting (maybe a bit dated, but well-written IMO) article: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0203.htm

Anyone have some up-to-date material on stretching? I looked at Wikipedia and the article not only seems to contradict itself, but basically says there's no consensus on the benefits/methods of stretching

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 08:45:55 PM »
> I've been a runner for years and I've always found that stretching is pretty much useless

I do the same, but I'm not willing to recommend it

> you don't need to stretch to lift because the action of lifting stretches your muscles anyway. 

This is a really bad idea that can easily lead to severe injuries

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »
Just remember:  Whenever you get the idea to go running take a large stick and whack yourself in the knees.  Might as well get the damage in and save yourself some time.

As far as stretching I always like:  light warmup, then stretch, exercise, and then stretch again.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 11:40:44 PM »
> I've been a runner for years and I've always found that stretching is pretty much useless

I do the same, but I'm not willing to recommend it

> you don't need to stretch to lift because the action of lifting stretches your muscles anyway. 

This is a really bad idea that can easily lead to severe injuries

Like I said, caveat emptor - let the buyer beware.  I'm not a doctor so don't take my advice with anything other than a grain of salt.