Author Topic: Screwed up my linux  (Read 1630 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Screwed up my linux
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:13 AM »
Ubuntu 10 Maverick

I was following the link below on my Acer trying to get my FN brightness adjust keys to actually work, instead of just showing the dialog.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1636959

After following the steps and restarting, i can hear ubuntu start and the login screen appear, but i cannot see anything. Brightness keys do not work.

So i hold my left shift to get the boot menu. Neither the primary boot or it's recovery method work (Kernel 2.6.35-28-generic).

However if i choose 2.6.35-27-generic it boots right up like nothing is wrong. So how do i get my primary kernel working right again?

Thanks
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Screwed up my linux
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
the ubuntu forums are completely useless sometimes
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
Just remove the line you added to the grub file and it should be the same as before.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
Just remove the line you added to the grub file and it should be the same as before.

I tried that man, i went through a lot of crap, driver and grub changes, updates etc etc.

The newest kernel still boots to a black screen, can't do anything. When i hold down the power button the screen comes on at the very last second just long enough that i see the shut down dialog.

The second newest kernel works perfectly, and after all my changes now allows me to adjust the brightness. So until i figure it out i'm at the mercy of waiting for the next kernel and hoping it all gets better.