Author Topic: remote backup  (Read 1520 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
remote backup
« on: April 18, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
So I've looked at a lot of plans out there for online backup (Mozy, Carbonite, SOS)... and while they all seem great, I figure there must be an easier way.  Then I found: http://www.crashplan.com/

I like this model a lot but I don't know if I have anyone that I'd be willing to pair up with.  The other problem is that I don't have an assload of space myself to return the favor. 

Has anyone here considered doing this?  The only thing I'd backup is pictures, videos, and music files.  I have everything else in my dropbox.  Another thing I just considered was bringing in an old tower that I have and hooking it up at work but I don't know if they'd let me here.

I guess I could also just get someone to house my old tower as long as they don't mind the small amount of electricity and bandwidth it would use.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: remote backup
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »
It's all the rage with the folks I work with. They're a local company around here and highly recommended. Most of the guys I work with now have the crashplan+ family. I'm getting tired of my multiple HD backups and I don't have an offsite really so I've been thinking about joining the club.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
New option, and possibly better:

http://www.wuala.com/referral/HJHG3FC75FK35FPFB77B

Using this referral gets more space for me and you.

The biggest selling point over dropbox?  You can put a ton of shit in the cloud and NOT have to sync it to all of the connected computers.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
I heard of them. I think they had some problems early on which is why I forgot about them.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 09:47:45 PM »
A buddy of mine at work mentioned them.  He loves the entire service.