Author Topic: I bought a bicycle  (Read 2869 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
I bought a bicycle
« on: July 08, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
It's been a very long time since I've actually had a bicycle. I think I've owned two in my life, a bmx and a mountain bike. I gave away the mountain bike from my teenage years a few years back since I never rode it. As part of my getting back in shape program I thought about getting a bike again to casually ride a nice trail we have near my house. After a bit of research I decided to shop for single speed bikes as it's more for casual riding. I tested a few bikes at the local shops but finally ended up ordering one online. After much consideration I ended up going for a Mercier Kilo WT (white). We'll see how I did in a week or so when it shows up. I may have sized the bike a size too small but I have odd body dimensions that aren't really optimal for cycling but I figure I can make due with a couple tweaks to the stem/seat post if it's not quite right. And probably a slightly larger gear to play around with for hills.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: I bought a bicycle
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »
I thought I was getting one too big but I like the size I got (26").  I got a city hybrid or something like that.  Not a mountain bike but not a full on street bike.  I'm pretty happy with it but I have to mess with the alignment because it doesn't always shift into the middle gear range easily.  I can't imagine doing a single gear, especially with my kids.  I often go slower with them so I shift into a very low gear to get more cycles.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: I bought a bicycle
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:34:55 AM »
Bike arrived this week and I got a change to finish the assembly and give it a test ride today. It's not too bad. It actually feels pretty comfortable with the stock setup. I need to tweak a few things like the seat position and brakes a tad but otherwise I think it'll serve its purpose quite nicely. It feels pretty solid to me and is actually pretty light I think. Got my helmet and some platform pedals (instead of the stock toe strap ones) and my lights should be here tomorrow and I'm all set I think. The size turned out to be just right I think. Any larger and it would have been uncomfortable. I threw the freewheel cog on and flipped the hub (comes with the fixed only by default). Once I go for a longer ride we'll see how the gearing works out but it doesn't seem too bad to me at the moment and the trail I plan to ride is pretty flat for the most part I believe. It's currently 3:1 (48/16) and a friend recommended perhaps grabbing an 18T if the 16T is a bit too much.
This signature intentionally left blank.