Author Topic: Truthfully, it's been a while..  (Read 1647 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Truthfully, it's been a while..
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:36:25 AM »
Since I used SMF from an admin standpoint. I have been running the latest (nulled) version of vBulletin for a few weeks and feature / administration wise, I'm quite impressed by where the software stands today. I used to absolutely hate it.

That said, it is still a bloated resource hog and its still insanely priced ($200+ add another $100+ if u want mobile also). Being that I was using a nulled version for testing purposes I decided to see how SMF is coming along.

I'm pretty impressed with 2.0RC5 overall. Its missing things I still feel it should have that vB offers but its free so you won't hear me complain. There's probably even a mod for them I haven't found yet.

So Mike & Obes, how do you guys like running on 2.0? I fired up 1.1.13, but it just seems so plain and 2002.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Truthfully, it's been a while..
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »
Of all the things SMF really needs, is the new member introduction option. On VB you can force them to enter (when signing up) a introduction thread title and about themselves into a post form box. It's quick, easy, and non-invasive. Then when their registration is complete, it automatically creates that thread in a specific board. So everyone is introduced automatically.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
I've been running 2.0 boards for so long that I don't remember 1.1.  I don't know how they can just let this thing sit in RC for so long.  What a sad state of affairs.

VB does offer several things I'd like to see brought to SMF but they also have paid staff.  I would NOT be a fan of forced introductions at all.

Do check out the mod community as there is a lot to offer.  But be aware that more mods = more pain when upgrading.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:48:17 AM »
I almost never upgrade "if it aint broke..." But when I do I code the mods ahead of time.

As for the sad state I agree. And honestly I think we will see free development begin to hault soon. That whole forum is in a sad state. A lot of developers have been bittered or even banned and gone commercial, pulling or dropping support for non commercial mods.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »
Ok, so some things have changed apparently. I am trying to adjust the forum width, so that the entire window is used, instead of it being center and leaving a ton of space on either side. It is an aftermarket theme, that i built off of someone else's work. That person is not available, and the issue is that there is no longer a style.css in 2.0RC5.

Now, in the core theme's index.css I can find the proper place to change the forum width. This does not appear to exist, however, in my theme's index.css. And i tried altering the core, which does nothing (obviously) for my theme.

Attached is a copy of my theme's index.css. I have never been too keen with css, so i'm not sure how to add it in (if i can), or if another way exists. I tried changing the divwrapper, which just shot the content of the forum way out past the body of it.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.