Author Topic: AVG anti-virus  (Read 3156 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
AVG anti-virus
« on: November 15, 2006, 08:48:33 PM »
So... Canuck's thread reminded me of a problem.

I don't personally use any anti-virus software, but I have AVG on my laptop, my wife's computer, and my mother-in-law's computer.

Both my wife and my mother-in-law bitch that AVG pops up all the time doing updates and shit.  Is there any way to stop the annoyance with the free version?

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
Re: AVG anti-virus
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:54:26 PM »
The only time I get pop-ups is when my computer boots up and it does an automatic update.  I dont want to delete the scheduled task, but I believe if you go to Scheduled tasks you can remove the Update task.  That may solve your problem, Im not 100% sure if it will allow you to delete that task, give it a shot.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:13:42 PM »
I coughed up the money for zone alarm.  I love it.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:08:54 PM »
I've made the switch to ClamWin, so far I've liked it. I don't do a lot of unsafe downloading so it really hasn't been put through the paces yet (maybe I'll try it on my brother's computer). It's currently lacking a realtime scanner but the scheduled scanning and manual scans of downloads make me feel safe enough.

You can disable the AVG automatic update I believe but then they would have to manually update all the time (probably preferring the popup).
This signature intentionally left blank.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
STOP DOWNLOADIN PR0N ON THE INTARWEB!

i did have a key for the full version of avg...damned if i know where it is

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 04:57:51 PM »
Yo Bigfoot.

I have been using the free version of AVG for years with no annoyances at all.  I have only seen it come up if I access a page with a virus.

It is not the application.  It is probably something they are doing, not doing, or accessing.  At least that is my best guess.

Knuck

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 06:25:39 PM »
If I remember correctly you can set the time of the updates so it gets done when they aren't generally using the computer. Then it won't be quite as annoying.
This signature intentionally left blank.