Author Topic: 95% of modern rock is made by the same two shitty bands  (Read 2854 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
95% of modern rock is made by the same two shitty bands
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
Popular modern rock nowadays can easily be divided into two groups: "Everything hurts" and "I'm tough I swear to God".  The first group of songs are all played by My Chemical Romance.  If the band name is something different, it's My Chemical Romance in costume.  The latter songs are played by Nickelback (apply similar costume rules). 

It's atrocious.  I sometimes listen to the local modern rock on the way home, and it really feels like there is absolutely zero variety.  I haven't listened to much modern rock lately (mostly hip-hop, alt country, folk, blues right now), so please tell me I'm wrong.  Please tell me my only choices aren't whiny bullshit and faux-toughguy bullshit.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: 95% of modern rock is made by the same two shitty bands
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 07:01:31 PM »
Well that's if you're listening to the radio. Gawsh.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 07:02:54 PM »
Thats not rock!

System of a Down = rock.
Black Sabbath = rock.

My Chemical Romance = emo (for fuck sakes just look at their name)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:06:15 PM »
Sorry Mikey but emo is kind of in the "rock universe" so to speak.  "Rock" is a really broad definition, and they fall into it, faggy as they may be.

> Well that's if you're listening to the radio. Gawsh.

If I'm listening to the radio most of the time it's NPR or sports radio.  I only listen to 89X DETROITS ONLY NEW ROCK ALTERNATIVE when NPR gets too depressing or sports radio gets too dumb

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 07:15:09 PM »
Saying that emo is in the "rock universe" is like saying Marshall Mathers is in the "black universe" :P

Fortunately the radio station I listen to doesn't play crap like that.  Not to say that every song is of the hardcore rock style but definitely no whining bitch ass pseudo-rock wannabes.

The station had something pretty cool last month (or so) in which they played covers that Tesla had done and the listeners got to vote on the best ones.  Supposedly Telsa used the votes to decide which songs to put on one of the CDs.

Oh and if you insist on the blasphemy of including emo in rock I only have this to say:

lalalalallalalalalallalalalalallalalalalalallalalalalallalalal

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:31:20 PM »
> Saying that emo is in the "rock universe" is like saying Marshall Mathers is in the "black universe"

Not really, but ok.

PS Tesla sucks.  I mean really, really sucks.

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:57:17 PM »
I pretty much don't listen to the radio.  I gave up years ago when "rock" was Limp Dickset.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 11:00:52 PM »
> Saying that emo is in the "rock universe" is like saying Marshall Mathers is in the "black universe"

Not really, but ok.

PS Tesla sucks.  I mean really, really sucks.
Can't say that I like their music.  But the covers were decent.  Plus its cool for a decently known band to do something like that for their home city.

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:44 PM »
The two songs that I liked that I heard on radio are Bo Rhap and Comfortably Numb.  :dunno: I never heard any other.
GO AWAY

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 12:22:19 AM »
Saying that emo is in the "rock universe" is like saying Marshall Mathers is in the "black universe" :P

Fortunately the radio station I listen to doesn't play crap like that.  Not to say that every song is of the hardcore rock style but definitely no whining bitch ass pseudo-rock wannabes.

The station had something pretty cool last month (or so) in which they played covers that Tesla had done and the listeners got to vote on the best ones.  Supposedly Telsa used the votes to decide which songs to put on one of the CDs.

Oh and if you insist on the blasphemy of including emo in rock I only have this to say:

lalalalallalalalalallalalalalallalalalalalallalalalalallalalal
emo is a really complicated genre. it stretches back to the mid 80s, and many "alternative" bands today were influenced by "emo" bands in some small fashion. but everybody has their own definition for emo so it's pointless to argue about it.