Author Topic: Blu-ray dead?  (Read 1477 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Blu-ray dead?
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:10:07 AM »
I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I'm starting a new one.  I heard a debate on the radio the other day about blu-ray being 'dead' already.  Most consumers don't have the cash for the player or the more expensive movies and most can't tell the difference between DVD and blu-ray anyways so most are sticking to DVDs.

I'm kinda in the same camp with the 'sticking to DVD' people.  Thoughts?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Blu-ray dead?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
I have no research to back this up, these are just my thoughts on the topic...

I don't think blu-ray is dead.  I think traditional media is dying.  With streaming on demand HD video gaining prominence, I think there is going to be a trend of less and less buying of hard media.  Perhaps thats already why t there's been a slow down in blu-ray as people with higher end systems are already moving towards on demand programing.  People with "old" setups are still buying DVDs.

I don't think we'll ever really lose the hard-copy, as people want to physically hold a copy of some things.  But eventually, in time, blu-ray is probably going to be the standard for those discs.  at least for the next decade.  Eventually everything will probably jsut be downloadable and the issue will be more about DRM than format.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Dumah

• Jackass IV
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »
I have no research to back this up, these are just my thoughts on the topic...

I don't think blu-ray is dead.  I think traditional media is dying.  With streaming on demand HD video gaining prominence, I think there is going to be a trend of less and less buying of hard media.

I agree. I was thinking back to years ago when I had a mini-disk player - they were great for their time as you had lots of space and could have quality sound on a portable player, but then the first MP3 players came out and the whole physical media format took a real beating. Now with better bandwidths and more access to films online people dont want to shell out on a whole new system.

Good thing too IMHO

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:11 AM »
Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Reasons
1)  Sales of BR media has increased quarter after quarter and is expected to eclipse DVD sales during 2011 - 2012.

2)  You can buy a BR player for $100.  Though this development is relatively recent, this is where DVD sales really took off.

3)  BR players do everything DVD/CD players do.  Thus when purchasing a new or replacement player BR is typically a shoe-in.

4)  Media storage demands for increased interaction, increased functionality,  HD movies, 3D, etc are growing not shrinking.  DVD simply cannot compete here.

5)  Streaming bandwidth in the US and Canada is crap.  Bandwidth caps are already brutal in Canada and becoming more common in the US.  This alone will force physical media.

6)  Bandwidth suppliers simply do not want to make the investment required to make reasonable HD bandwidth a reality for the majority or US residents.  Again, this alone forces physical media on the consumer.

7)  People seem fixated on great video quality.  DVD video quality is markedly lower than BR.  It should be noted that this is especially prevalent when the source material was filmed in HD and up-conversion was not required.  This library is growing monthly.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 01:06:47 PM »
I like DVD better, hot girls look hotter when you can't see all their zits and wrinkles. Blue-ray is too much quality :P

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 05:23:55 PM »
I'm generally fine with DVD quality. And I'm moving over to more streaming content so it doesn't really make sense to go buy a Blue Ray player just to have one.

I think BR came out at a bad time. They won the war on physical media but the problem is the fight is now with physical media in general and I think they only have a couple years left before the streaming really starts to take off (it would now if content was more available).

I'm still sort of a physical media person but I also appreciate the minimalism that comes with not having stuff, although I'm not a big fan of how easily everything can go away or how I can get screwed when my provider of content decides they want to make more money.

We're in an interesting time of virtual goods.
This signature intentionally left blank.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 07:34:34 PM »
I was going to say that I don't think blu-ray is dead, it's just not fully adopted yet. It took me awhile to go to DVD or to HD TV, but I eventually went there.

But then I read Micah's post and I'm not so sure. I don't buy the argument that people like something tangible. It's certainly possible that blu-ray will stick around for the minority who want a disk, but I don't think it will become nearly as popular as HD, DVD, MP3, etc. Why get a Blu-Ray player when you can get a TV that lets you download movies from Netflix or stream them from your computer?