Author Topic: New macbook =)  (Read 1440 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
New macbook =)
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
My old MBP died, just a couple weeks short of its 6th birthday. I considered picking a PC laptop (to run Ubuntu), almost bought one but finally decided I'd rather put up the extra cash for another mac. The OS just suits my needs perfectly, all the linux command line tools for development and a nice stable UI for fun stuff.

Anyway, this thing is so damn fast. Moving from 1.5GB of RAM in my old laptop to 4GB in this one is a noticeable difference. I can't wait until the 16GB of RAM that I ordered gets here :)

The prices are actually cheaper than I expected, $1150 for the MBP and $150 for a 16GB RAM kit from newegg. 
(Yes, I know 16GB is more than any regular user would ever use, but I have special plans for running some research demos with this.)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: New macbook =)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »
that is a nice machine. Prices of macs have come down significantly - but I guess that is to be expected as computer equipment in general is less expensive. I think I paid $1700 for the new generation (flat screen) 17" iMacs - that was about 6-7 years ago.

But frankly, after switching to a PC running win7 has been a pleasure and I don't miss my mac at all.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: New macbook =)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
I used windows 7 when I interned at MS. I didn't mind it either, I think they've made a lot of improvements.

..but I just couldn't live without a bash shell =)

Just installed the 16GB about 10 minutes ago. I need to copy a ton of data from my work machine before I can really test it out though.