Author Topic: College  (Read 7737 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: College
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 12:00:46 AM »
Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering.
I do nothing related to my field
Nothing?  I'm at least close.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 12:05:09 AM »
Thats my fear i want something i can use to live an easier life that supports me and the things i like to do. I want stability. Four years of suffering to get only slightly closer would seem so asanine.

The "girlfriend" graduates medical school this spring.....that should be nice. Thats the other thing though her schedule.....my schedule with school.....i see issues later.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 06:52:01 AM »
Cheez said he probably couldn't even compile a C
program anymore.
I could probably compile one but I couldn't write one.

This is the stuff I program now
http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/substation_automation/en/controllers/d20_d200.htm
http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/substation_md/en/monitoring_instr_sys/faraday_tmedic.htm

"Nothing" is a little bit of hyperbole but definitely most of my work isn't related to CE at all; it's mostly EE.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 08:05:59 AM »
What would be really cool is if i could get a BA in Computer Science, but do something secondary at the same time in like.....computer security.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 08:09:03 AM »
CS = decent money and you use your brain.
Computer security = IT Monkey making decent money but probably not as much as straight CS.

If you can find a job where you do both (small company), that would be cool, but unlikely.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
If it ain't a BS then it is a BS degree ;)

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »
BA/BS i wont pretend to know the difference. But now that you said something im pretty sure all the programs i have ever looked at for CS are all a BS degree and not BA and im just an asshat.

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:12 AM »
Most of us here are programmers or some variation there of it seems. So my question is what did everyone go to school for?
Lets see - started out CS, fell in love with Anthropology and switched.  So I have a BA in Anthro with a CS minor and an MA in Procurment & Acquisition Management.

My undergrad has nothing to do with what I do - I buy shit using the money you pay in taxes for the Government.

Also, just to reiterate to myself - I hate my new job and am looking to leave as soon as the first offer rolls in.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 08:47:30 AM »
didnt you just take that job? But basically when i hear that the goverment used tax money to buy a senators wire a pink boeing jet i can blame you? :lol:

And Artho huh....so your like Bones. Now you just need your own antonio benderaz (thats his name rite?)

drakkenkorin

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 08:50:29 AM »
Actually, I was focused more on linguistic anthro and physical anthro.

I. HATE. BONES.

And its David Boreanez (or something like that).

I just hate my job cuz its post award and I hate contract administration.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 08:53:49 AM »
I know you hate bones thats why i said it :lol:

Guess today i should start looking at the school(s) and get moving huh. Shit whens the deadline for the next go round, jan?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »
good luck RoD. That is good news. What will happen to computer medic?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

drakkenkorin

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:54 AM »
OOOOOOO

Register the name - then sell it!

Make you some $$

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 09:07:48 AM »
I have already shut it down and cut the ties on any liabilities. It was fun, and it kept me alive for the last....7.5 months. The problem is with this economy the way it is there are so many half ass computer tech's and college/highschool students that are doing things way to cheap.

For example when i moved down here i made alot of money right from day one on repairs, spyware removals etc. Because everything from a ram upgrade to a repair, etc was just $25 + cost of parts for all new customers. And i set up a credit program so on referrals the customers could still get the $25 deal even though they were a repeat.

This killed. I literally blew away the few people in this area. Then a company called Nite Lite PC, owned by a convicted child molester and employing two felons btw, decided to steal my advertising word for word on all the online ad venues. Not all my business was from online, but about half was. The kicker was not only is this guy a real dirtbag, but he would do the jobs then bill the customer for 25/hr instead of just 25.

There are rumors he also told people he was the owner of Computer Medic and changed the name, but i cant prove it. So the $25 special died because people were now ignoring it, and everyone was claiming to be the company that started it all and blah blah.

Next thing you know everyone is doing the same work for literally $5. I'm sorry but i cant even feed my dog doing 5-10 jobs a week for $5. And im not spending god knows how long working on your computer for five fucking dollars. But these guys will.

It's like a bunch of technical mexicans have invaded my universe.

Edit:

I own the domain and the rights to the name here in SWFL.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 09:28:53 AM »
Wow how much does that suck! If you do a BS in comp sci im pretty sure you'll still be able to/might have to take electives so perhaps there'll be some security module somewhere for you to do.

I went into uni doing a BS majoring in physics, possibly also majoring in maths but after 2 years I decided to just major in maths cause I really got over physics and maths is nice a simple (no labs, group work, presentations, douche bag lecturers who have a pole up their arse). So I guess what im saying is just get in there with a vague idea of what you wanna do and maybe after doing some courses you'll find a direction that you enjoy!
i have a stationary fetish