Author Topic: My Parents  (Read 1223 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
My Parents
« on: October 25, 2005, 01:44:22 AM »
Well... my dad's life seems to go in waves as far as finances go.  Comes with being self employed with no medical insurance.  Sometimes he has more money than he knows what to do with.  Other times, he was so broke that we had to move from our home into another.  (22 times in fact).

Well it has happened again.  My desperately ill mom got a knock on the door on Thursday.  She did her best to get to the door and answer it after the guy started pounding and ringing the doorbell.  It was a man carrying a summons to court for their prompt eviction.  Apparently my dad wasn't paying their rent, but didn't want to concern my mom with it because she is so sick.  Suffice it to say, she now knows.  And the ensuing fights were horrendous.

They were scheduled to go into court tomorrow, and would be out on the street in 30 days.  

I worked out a deal with the rental company that they would drop the court case and allow them to stay if I paid the late rent and fees, and the rent for November.  So here I am, after taking a job that pays less to avoid travelling, putting 2K as a cash advance on my credit card so that I can give my parents a place to live.

Somewhere in the mix of things, I think my parents forgot that they were adults... that they were supposed to be responsible.  At least they have a home for the next month and a half.  

I can only hope that my dad makes some money so that he can pay the rent for December.  My mom is applying for a divorce, so that she can qualify for medical as a non-working disabled person.  She says that she will still live with my dad, but maybe not if things do not turn around.  Then she will look toward state assisted living.

Sucks too much for words...  whatever you do in your life (for those of you that are breeders), make certain that your children never have to carry you and your burdens.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2005, 01:48:54 AM by Betazep »
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
My Parents
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 06:41:53 AM »
I never know what to say to threads like this. I just hope your parents appreciate the help that you've given them, but equally don't come to depend on it. FWIW I'm sure your father would rather it didn't have to be that way.

'Good luck' never seems to be an adequate phrase, but *shrugs* Good luck to you and yours.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
My Parents
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:39:45 AM »
that sucks man, at least you were in a position to help
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
My Parents
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 07:55:23 AM »
carefull that you don't put yourself in a similar situation by trying to help them out - remember, you have your own responsibilties.

it may sound cold of me to say, but the divorse may be the best option for your mom - she'll (probably) be eliglbe for medicaid/care and get the treatment she needs.

my dad was self employed as well, so i know how the finance end goes, esp when someone was sick in the house.

hope all turns out for the best.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
My Parents
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 08:25:57 AM »
I've always wanted to be my own boss, run my own company, but I think I'd fall into that pattern.  I like having days where I can come in here and pretty much do nothing and get the same check at the end of the month and go to the doctor for a small copay.

Same sentiments as the others Beta.  I hope everything turns out ok... and I hope your mom gets better.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
My Parents
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 08:48:29 AM »
That's heavy man, sorry to hear about your folk's situation.  Nothing much I can say that hasn't already been said by the others.  Hope your mum pulls through ok.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
My Parents
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 08:56:34 AM »
That sucks so much Beta...i really hope you dad sorts himself out. If my step mum didnt keep things going while my dad was alive (including refinancing the house) they'd have been screwed cause my dad didnt work for years and just drank.
i have a stationary fetish

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
My Parents
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 09:37:49 AM »
Well speaking of father's doing stupid things..my fuckhead old man decided to drink drive home from work (about 40 mins away).  Oh, did I mention he's a cop?