Author Topic: WTF Weathermen!  (Read 1492 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
WTF Weathermen!
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:53:34 AM »
Ok, I know its not their fault -- most of them get their reports from a single national source and just pass them on, and then, even the best local meteorologists can't be right all the time, but man did they blow yesterday's forecast.

They started on Sunday telling us that Wednesday would be a bad Nor'Easter with 8 to 14 inches of snow.  They said on Monday that all the computer models agreed.  On Tuesday, confidence was high, all the models agreed and half the storm was working its way in from the west and the other half was working its way up the coast and the two would meet on Wednesday, certainly dropping at least 8 to 14 inches of snow.

By Tuesday night nearly every school in the state announced their closure.   Early Wednesday morning came. They told us the the snow could start pre-dawn but most likely begin during the morning commute with the heaviest "Blizzard Like" conditions  between Noon and 4:00PM.  The state government coordinated with the big businesses downtown to close major corporations early and stagger the release of their employees to avoid traffic jams.

Meanwhile, my wife and I woke up to no snow falling.  We had an ultrasound appointment to go to at 10:30am so we were both home from work for the morning anyway.  Around 9, some snow started falling. We decided then that, based on the forecast, after our appointment my wife would just stay home. After all, she has to drive over a treacherous mountain and the snow would be at its worst both on her way there and on her way home.

She called her boss and said she wouldn't be in.  Then, fearing we'd be snowed in all day we went out to get some Dunkin' Donuts and buy supplies (ie, food to eat later in the day).  While we were out, the snow stopped.  By the time we went to our ultrasound appointment you could nearly see the sun through the clouds.

The forecast continued to say, "the snow is a little late in coming but its going to come with "blizzard-like" force this afternoon.  So after the appointment we went home.   Around 2PM it started flurrying again.  By 3PM it was snowing pretty heavily.  By 5PM the snow was flurrying again and it was just fairly windy.

This morning we woke up to less than 3 inches.  WHAT A BUST!  and the worst part is my wife won't get paid for yesterday!   :mad:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: WTF Weathermen!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:10 AM »
So ummm....you realize that the entire rest of the region was nailed right?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 09:05:46 AM »
Seriously. We got 16" down here, and the wind was not so fun to deal with.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
I don't deny that there was a bad storm.
I'm just a little bummed that here in Hartford they said it was going to hit us.  they said with certainty that it would be a bad storm, in Hartford, during the hours that my wife and i would be driving home from work.

In the previous bad storms they said, "oh look, DC is getting 3 feet but we're getting nothing"  this time they said, "DelMaVa is getting the storm and then it will get worse and hit us."  oops!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 09:36:52 AM »
If weathermen could see the future, they wouldn't be weathermen, they'd be lottery winners

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »
They predicted you'd get heavy snow. You actually got a little snow. Sounds like a pretty reasonable forecast to me!

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »
I get that weatherman aren't perfect - and I'm not really blaming it on them.... but this isn't like they predicted rain and it was sunny  or even that they predicted snow and we only got a little snow. This was major snow hype that literlly shut our state down for an entire day uneccessarily.

Even the weather men atmided that they blew it:

http://www.geofffox.com/MT/archives/2010/02/11/why_is_an_apology_a_rarity.php

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:07:15 PM »
You east coasters should be glad thats all you get.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 10:29:24 PM »
I get that weatherman aren't perfect - and I'm not really blaming it on them.... but this isn't like they predicted rain and it was sunny  or even that they predicted snow and we only got a little snow. This was major snow hype that literlly shut our state down for an entire day uneccessarily.

Dude, lets be honest, your entire state shutting down isn't that big of a deal.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 07:34:09 AM »

Dude, lets be honest, your entire state shutting down isn't that big of a deal.

LOL, ok, so we're the 3rd smallest state but there are 3.5 million people here, packed into the 4th densest state (population per square mile) :)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:53:00 AM »
yes but how many people moved there directly as a result of Family Guy

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 08:42:14 AM »
bring back the whalers

pucky supremacy

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 10:52:42 AM »
w00t! there's a lot of people who still wish we could get them back.    Their booster club is still active in Hartford.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 10:59:33 AM »
They should contract a bunch of the southern teams and put teams back in Hartford and Winnipeg