Author Topic: Govtcheez gettin unfat! ver. a million update: he fatr  (Read 143895 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Govtcheez gettin unfat! ver. a million update: he fatr
« Reply #705 on: June 23, 2012, 06:13:56 PM »
I failed completely. Ended up walking instead. Was a bit too hot and for some reason I couldn't wake up at all. I'm gonna try again tomorrow if I'm to too hung over after this birthday party.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #706 on: June 24, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »
How in the world do people do sustained runs uphill? I tried a trail run today and got winded after about a quarter of a mile. Hiked to the top, then ran a longer route back. The downhill was easy and super fun, but uphill seems impossible

So I made it up to the top for the third time without stopping! I looked up the distance and supposedly it's about 5mi round trip but feels like 3 or 4 to me. Might have to carry my GPS up with me at some point to check. Now I need to find a trail run that's more than 1000ft elevation gain

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #707 on: June 24, 2012, 04:27:31 PM »
Running fucking blows. Much respect to you guys that do it.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #708 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
I used to think that too but then something clicked and I started to love it. Getting off a treadmill and into the woods is a good starting point. Then, realize you are going to hurt and embrace it, but listen to your body. Take is as slow as you need to. I think most people who hate running come out of the gate thinking they're Usain Bolt or someone like that. I started making a lot more progress when I started accepting that I needed to slow down.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #709 on: June 24, 2012, 08:22:10 PM »
It sucked the first few times I went on this trail, but after about a month of running just once on the weekends I'm actually enjoying it and at no point do I feel like I want to die. It's especially fun when the trail is muddy and I get to splash in the mud puddles. And yeah, the key to running uphill for me was running so slow I almost felt like I wasn't running

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #710 on: June 24, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »
I kept trying to compete with myself from high school and it took me a few months to realize how dumb that was.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #711 on: June 24, 2012, 09:25:07 PM »
I kept trying to compete with myself from high school and it took me a few months to realize how dumb that was.
Funny you should mention that:  I've entertained the idea of doing a Marine PFT next year.  I actually think I could do better than I did while I was in.  The only real question is the 3 mile run and doing it under 24 minutes.  But I'm sure I'll be doing more pullups by then so I could makeup for it then.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #712 on: June 25, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »
I'm reading Eat and Run by Scott Jurek, probably the best ultrarunner in the world.  He's a vegan and the book is full of recipes, some of them look good and some are ridiculous (who keeps 6 different types of flour on hand? that's what his pancake recipe calls for).  I'm gonna start giving them a try and cutting some meat out of my diet, I think.  My wife thinks I'm crazy and that I'm going to become a vegan.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #713 on: June 25, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
I used to think that too but then something clicked and I started to love it. Getting off a treadmill and into the woods is a good starting point. Then, realize you are going to hurt and embrace it, but listen to your body. Take is as slow as you need to. I think most people who hate running come out of the gate thinking they're Usain Bolt or someone like that. I started making a lot more progress when I started accepting that I needed to slow down.

That makes a lot of sense, but I think I'm still too fat for any serious runnning - I don't think my knees would like that.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #714 on: June 25, 2012, 10:30:14 AM »

See, I do that too when it comes to lifting - and I should be able to lift more than I did in high school. I'm almost there!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #715 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, but I think I'm still too fat for any serious runnning - I don't think my knees would like that.
Start slow.  Go walking or hiking or something like that.  A friend of mine is about your size and did the warrior dash and a 5K with me last year, but I wouldn't necessarily suggest doing that yourself.  Anything you can do to distract yourself from the fact that you're exercising might help, too.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #716 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
I walk on my lunch break - around two miles. That's a start!

but I rather bike.

>>warrior dash
I'm doing this next year.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #717 on: June 25, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
It's fun!  Bring clothes you don't ever want to wear again.  The only thing I still have that I wore that day are the shorts, and they're pretty stained.  Same deal with Tough Mudder - I was able to salvage my compression shorts and that was all.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #718 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
i heard tough mudder is quite a bit more challenging.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #719 on: June 25, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
It's longer, but I didn't think it was that much harder.  It was definitely more miserable because you spent the endtire time freezing your ass off.  I made a long writeup of it back when I did it.