Author Topic: linux/ubuntu -- need to access slave HDD  (Read 3319 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
linux/ubuntu -- need to access slave HDD
« on: September 28, 2007, 02:11:45 PM »
I have an 8 year old computer that had crashed a couple years ago. I had tried to install windows xp pro and it didn't take and then I tried to install windows '98 and it didn't work and I gave up and eventually bought a new computer.

A few months ago, I plugged it back and and successfully installed ubuntu - although it runs REALLY slow and I still don't use the computer.

Back when that PC worked I had installed a 2nd hard drive that I used to mp3 and some other data storage.  Its been a couple years so I'm not even sure what's on it anymore but I'd like to access it.

I've thought about just buying one of those "drive enclosures" and make it like an external usb HDD.  But I don't really know if I want to spend the money until I at least find out what's on the drive.

Any step by step advice on how I can get my linux OS to recognize that drive so I can see what's on it?  Thanks!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
Re: linux/ubuntu -- need to access slave HDD
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
Don't know much about ubuntu but, assuming the hdd is physically connected and hasn't been auto-detected/mounted then open a terminal/konsole/whatever the hell it's called and as root:

Code: [Select]
fdisk -l
(that's a lower-case 'L' switch) to list available devices. If it's an ide drive then it'll be something like /dev/hdb or somesuch; take a note of it anyway. Then, still as root, mount it with

Code: [Select]
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb /mnt/tmp
where /dev/hdb was its device label/designation displayed by fdisk and assuming /mnt/tmp is an existing directory on your ubuntu installation (if it isn't mkdir it) and also assuming it's an ntfs file system(if it's fat32 then replace the ntfs switch with vfat in the mount command). That should enable you to read the drive and copy stuff etc.

It's really slow because of whatever window manager ubuntu uses; there are simpler ones with less bells and whistles that look fine and get the job done. You can usually get out of x by ctrl + backspace (type startx to relaunch X if you want to) - it'll be orders of magnitude quicker from the command line. If you need to restart the machine from there then ctrl+alt+del ought to do it or, if that fails either reboot or shutdown -r now.

Regard this post as a something to get you started until someone with more knowledge than me stops by, like Perspective or ygfperson to name two.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 03:25:08 PM »
thanks, i'll try this when I get home.

I really need to work on learning shell commands. Its one of my assigned goals at work too.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »
Hey, sound advice from Mr. Ken there. However if its a recent version of Ubuntu it will automount any NTFS partitions it can see. Normally in /media/(hda / sda / something else) and place an icon under 'Places'.

Ctrl + backspace will indeed quit X but Ubuntu will normally launch gdm login manager automatically from there. Ctrl + F2 will get you to a console or, better still, in grub to boot into run level 3 you can appending a 3 to the kernel parameter line.

Sounds like an ideal candidate for a web filtering (for the kids?) / firewall / mp3 storage / torrent box if your looking to expand you Linux/Unix knowledge!

Ken Fitlike

• Jackass V
  • Ebeneezer McScrooge
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 08:08:37 AM »
>Ctrl + backspace will indeed quit X

Make that ctrl + alt + backspace. Sorry about that.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »
>Ctrl + F2

And that Ctrl + Alt + F2...Ken put me off!