Author Topic: Olympics 2012  (Read 23316 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Olympics 2012
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
Has ice hockey gone yet? I want to watch Team USA play
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
Yes, they had to forfeit due to inability to skate on grass.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2012, 09:27:27 PM »

Put the drugs away.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »

7/10

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2012, 10:50:47 PM »

7/10

Thank god someone got that lol
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #95 on: August 02, 2012, 02:37:23 PM »
Uhh... I watched the NBC primetime feed with my daughters and they showed the fall and basically said that the ending was all but a sure thing after that. What feed were they watching?

Of course, NBC does edit stuff like that to increase drama, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did it for other areas. It's nothing new, that's how their primetime coverage works, especially with such a long tape delay. If you don't like it, watch it live online. This is a pretty tame example.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #96 on: August 02, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »
NBC is sucking it pretty big Charlie, no need to defend them

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #97 on: August 02, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
Seriously. Your devotion to Comcast is pretty ridiculous.

Of course, NBC does edit stuff like that to increase drama, so it wouldn't be surprising if they did it for other areas. It's nothing new.

NOT FOR THE OLYMPICS. Do you not understand the
difference here?

Huh? #1, I'm not defending them. I said that what was claimed to have happened didn't happen, at least in my viewing area. I also said that they pull this stuff all the time, it is how they have always done their primetime broadcasts (at least for the last few decades). That's not a defense, that's reinforcing the criticism (but also pointing out that there's no need suddenly be outraged as if something new is happening).

#2, YES FOR THE OLYMPICS. Just the other day I watched swimming online at work, then saw them broadcast the same races during primetime. Live, Michael Phelps was in the first semi-final. In primetime, they switched it so his heat was last and then cut to an interview with him as if he just finished and knew he made the finals, when in fact he had to wait for the second heat to finish before finding out.

This happens all the time and is nothing new. Why is it all of a sudden a big deal, especially for something as small as the alleged gymnastics change. (That's not me defending them, I hate that style of faux drama creation, by the way.)

#3, What does comcast have to do with anything? They have fast internet which I like, they have horrible DVRs which I hate. They own NBC now and NBC is behaving the same way they did when they were owned by GE or whoever it was before.

I think you need to stop reading things into people's posts that aren't there.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #98 on: August 02, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »
Live streaming is a viable alternative in many cases... They don't have to cater to every single person's preferred viewing style.

Of course, I agree with your criticism of their story telling, but Id say it's not so much about deciding the end of the story as it is about generating fake drama rather than setting up the real drama and letting it play out.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2012, 09:54:52 AM »
15.3s google hurdles. second try.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
The Canada vs. USA women's soccer game (semi-final) was a great game but the refereeing was hard to watch. Canada was leading the entire game (which was a surprise since USA is ranked #1 and Canada is ranked #7) then the ref decided to give the game to the US to force extra time. US had a nice goal in the last 30 seconds of stoppage time at the end of the second extra time period for the win.

The ref called a delay of game penalty against Canada's goalie, but awarded a free kick inside the box instead of a yellow card! A free kick inside the box? Are you kidding me? First of all apparently it's extremely rare to call delay of game penalty at all, second the FIFA rules state that a yellow card should be given. It's a shame a ref would do something so stupid during such an important game. The free kick resulted in incidental contact against the arm of a Canadian player, so the ref gave a penalty kick which tied the game and forced overtime. booooooooooo.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »
To be fair: Soccer has really shitty refing

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2012, 11:27:15 AM »
Yeah, pretty much every soccer game has some reffing controversy. But it's usually little things like a free kick vs. a dive or which team actually hit a ball out of bounds. This was two bad calls in a row, the first one completely out of the blue, and it directly resulted in a tying goal.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
Ouch, just watched Matthias Steiner (Germany) drop 196Kg on his head. He got up (eventually) though!