Author Topic: Panasonic FZ7  (Read 1525 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Panasonic FZ7
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:06:24 PM »
As posted earlier a few weeks ago I ordered a panasonic FZ7 from bestbuy - unfortunately bestbuy didnt realize that they were selling one of the best cameras of this year at an even better price - which resulted in massive backorders  :rolleyes: I waited almost four weeks, after which I cancelled my order and picked one up at a wolfcamera. It cost me almost $450 with tax, and I didn't get the extra warranty with it. They wanted almost $200 for two years! Will have to be extra carefull with it though.

When selecting a camera I was considering two others with similar features and price (399) - the FZ7 won out by a long shot with a LEICA lens, rechargable batteries, and a supplied 52mm filter adapte. It has a massive 12X optical zoom - which translates to 36-432. Thats bigger than I had on my SLR minolta! It has all the features of a traditional SLR plus many more! The antishake technology is the best in the industry right now. Oh yeah, it also weights less than my old canon sd100 elph!

I also got some filters with it - 8 to be exact (which aren't cheap either, about $15 each). Orange and Blue are by far my favs - orange for a sharp contrast for b&w and blue for color correction with indoor lighting. The circular polarizer is great also - especially for sunny days in Colorado :)

Even though I did not get the Canon Rebel which I wanted, I'm extremely happy with it so far. TIFF format rocks - but only about 50 shots fit on my 1GB SD card :( good thing I got 5 of them when they were on sale for $30 at office depot :)

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
Re: Panasonic FZ7
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 12:48:41 AM »
I rather get the S3IS than the FZ7 -- just that the S3IS got a better photo quality (Panasonic is notorious for oversharpening their photos.) Otherwise, the FZ7 is pretty sweet.
GO AWAY

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:03:37 AM »
>>I rather get the S3IS

I dunno dude. First of all its overpriced IMO and second of all I hate the LCD that series has - the flip and turn gets annoying and you lose on the size. Plus AA operated - a $500 camera should not be AA operated :mad: when comparing I looked at the the canons S3 IS and S2 IS, Sony DSC-H2, as well as a kodak - but i forget the model. Overall the panasonic beats eachone hands down IMO.

Have you read about that new Samsung DSLR that supposed to fit 2.7 million lenses! looks pretty sweet. And I hope that Sony will do good things for the minolta/konica cameras - they are keeping the same lens mount. Hopefully Sony will be able to compete in the high end market with the canons and the nikons. 
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 04:31:57 PM »
why not AA operated... if you ran out of juice, you can go to any convenient store and get some alkalines ;).

Sony in D-SLR? Beat the Rebel XT and D70s first, then we'll talk.

and the flip screen -- I got spoiled by camcorders :D.
GO AWAY