Author Topic: iPad/iPhone controls  (Read 6826 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
iPad/iPhone controls
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:34:58 PM »
My kids are getting to the age that my wife and I are worried about what they are accessing on their devices.  Is anyone familiar with apps that will allow me to monitor what they're doing?  I don't care so much about setting 'times' for them as I care about limiting web access and things like that.

We have all iOS devices (2 ipads and they each have old iphone).

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: iPad/iPhone controls
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 07:10:25 PM »
I think it would have to be at the OS level.  iOS doesn't really let apps control other apps.  I haven't used them, but it looks like there are some restrictions built into the OS.  I'd be curious what your experience is with them:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201304

All that said - I think open dialogue with the kids is also super important - if they want to see it, they're gonna see it etc.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:17:48 AM »
Open dialogue is important and we do that.  Trust me, the things we've talked about recently with them.... ugh... sometimes adulting is hard.  I glanced at some of the controls in iOS but didn't dig into them too much.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:54:50 AM »
Given their ages make sure you enable the setting that requires the password for EVERY purchase.  Don't do the setting that disables the check for a period of time.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:24:18 AM »
Ha ha.

"Hey Dad! I'd like to get this free learning app. Can you put in your password so it'll download?"

I actually am setting up children's apple ids for my kids. They can use iMessage, and when they want to get any app it sends a request to my phone and my wife's that we have to approve.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »
I'd rather run all that through my wife's or my Apple IDs.  We don't let them use iMessage yet.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 10:32:27 AM »
I haven't gotten it fully set up the way I want it yet but I really like the idea and so far I'm very happy with it.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »
Open dialogue is important and we do that.  Trust me, the things we've talked about recently with them.... ugh... sometimes adulting is hard.  I glanced at some of the controls in iOS but didn't dig into them too much.

Ha!  It can be totally awkward...I've heard about sex, drugs, and drinking from students this term...and from parents about their kid's romantic lives and about their kid's pending breast reduction...sigh....It gets easier?  Maybe?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own