Author Topic: Canning  (Read 3912 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Canning
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:41:28 PM »
Had a good season this year - learned a lot about this new place and next year will make necessary adjustments. But the reason this is in here, is because I made quite a bit of canned goods. Pickles in brine, spicy pickle spears in vinegar, pickled jalapenos, pizza sauce, hot and mild tomato sauces. Made sum plum jam from our tree. Now I'm collecting our apples and making tons and tons of apple chips as well as apple sauce.

I've dabbled before with canning, but not to this extent. I hope that we can consume everything over the winter.  Started already earlier this week - I made venison stroganoff with the spicy tomato sauce. Came out just excellent!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 11:49:28 PM by Jake »
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Canning
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:44:59 PM »
Caught a bunch of fish a couple weeks ago and made candied salmon in the smoker - soooooooo good. One of the fish had eggs and I made salmon caviar - long and tedious process, and the final product is not that great, so I will probably not be going through the trouble again in the future.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
Feel free to send me some pickels.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 10:42:00 AM »
My parents can a lot.  They have a whole room in their basement dedicated to it and they regularly bring random jars of stuff when they come to visit.  They have food for years down there, especially now that it's just the 2 of them.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 09:37:43 PM »
they regularly bring random jars of stuff when they come to visit. 

I think that's what canners do :p I've given and traded jars with a few neighbors on the street already - one made a killer raspberry jam!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 04:02:03 PM »
Having high blood pressure I try to avoid really salty foods and pickled stuff is something I miss greatly. I've watched videos before about fridge pickles so I grabbed some veggies last night to give that a go. I'm trying a no salt/no sugar thing and another one with a small amount of salt to test out. So it seems I'll be working on a recipe of my own here now. In a few days I'll report back on my success or failure.
This signature intentionally left blank.