Author Topic: Recommend Someone a Tablet  (Read 3414 times)

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Recommend Someone a Tablet
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
Hoepfully y'all have been keeping up with tablets and junk.

What would you recommend for someone who is interested in a tablet.

She's not brank/OS sensitive and would like to stay around the "iPad" size - which I take to mean around 7" to 9".

She'd like an iPad, but thinks they're too expensive and would rather have something new rather than used.

Commence!
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Recommend Someone a Tablet
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
My only experiences are with iPads and one Surface.  I wouldn't recommend the Surface unless you drop some major coin and get the really nice ones.  The Windows RT ones are shit.  If she wants to save some cash, she could always get an iPad 2.  Granted, they're not much cheaper... but it's something.  Or maybe an iPad Mini?

I wish I had more feedback from the Android side.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:15:24 AM »
Nexus 7 or iPad Mini (maybe galaxy tab).

I actually slightly prefer the feel of my original N7 to to new one (thinner and slightly taller but feels a bit mor plasticy). I use my N7 a ton and it's been my favorite device in while. Jensina uses the iPad mini which has a slightly fatter screen rather than the bookish style of the Nexus. Using the stock Android is great since Google does frequent updates. I'd be happy with either device but I'm not an Apple ecosystem person so I prefer the Android.

A local Best Buy should have both to play with.
This signature intentionally left blank.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
No Best Buy since we're both in Italy and the BB equivalent is horrible.

I forgot to mention she's interested in a USB port too, so she'll be limited to Android more than likely.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »
Wait, I thought you were in Japan

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
Wait, I thought you were in Japan
+1, but I didn't say anything before.

DK, you need to tell us when you move.  OH, and where in Italy?  I'm going to Verona next week for work!

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 02:33:25 PM »
Dk Had A thread about moving to Italy. We all congratulated him and wished him luck.

Verona is beautiful. One of my favorite cities in Italy.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
What's she want to use it for? Creating content or consumption?

If she wants to consume content - what about a Fire?  Personably I'd prefer a more powerful iPad, but the fire seems like a pretty solid consumption device...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
Dk Had A thread about moving to Italy. We all congratulated him and wished him luck.

Verona is beautiful. One of my favorite cities in Italy.
Hmm... must have skipped my memory.

I want to see Florence and Rome with my wife... not on this trip though.  Maybe another time.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
Fire or Galaxy.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 03:40:24 AM »
>>What's she want to use it for? Creating content or consumption?<<

Consumption - specifically, internet, email and FB.  I never even thought of the Fire (even though I have one and use it more than my iPad).

>>DK, you need to tell us when you move<<
<<Dk Had A thread about moving to Italy. We all congratulated him and wished him luck.<<

At least someone remembers!!!

>>OH, and where in Italy?  I'm going to Verona next week for work<<

I'm in Naples and I can't HATE it enough.  Neopolitans are loud, rude and obnoxious to the point of arrogance.  They drive like they're blind, deaf and dumb and don't know basic physics (esp. the bit about 2 objects occupying the same point in space and time).  The food is horrible - just b/c you throw some olive oil and a basil leaf on it doesn't make it fucking gourmet fucktards!

Sorry - bit of a rant.  Suffice it to say my decision to come here was one of my biggest mistakes of all time!

Northrn Italy is a bit more civalized - they still drive pretty stupid, but at least they're more friendlier.  Never been to Verona - closest I've been in Venice, Vicenza and Aviano.

Florence is worth it and Rome is great

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 07:13:51 AM »
I visited my sister during her semester in Florence and we took 2 days to go down to Naples because I've been obsessed with Pompeii as long as I can remember...It was awful - for ALL the reasons you said.  The driving, the people, the food was 'meh', and there was a long term garbage strike so the place literally smelled...Northern Italy (Florence and Venice) was MUCH nicer.  Really sorry you're stuck down there Drak.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own