Author Topic: Netbooks  (Read 3352 times)

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Netbooks
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:15:12 AM »
Building off of tgm's earlier post:

Does anyone own/used a netbook before?

What are your thought on them?

I'm thinking of getting one, and have been for a while.  I love my MacBook, but lugging this (what seems like) 15lbs piece of white plastic around the world is not something I'm looking forward to.

My friend has an HP110 (I believe) and he loves it.  I'll have to talk to him as well to see what he actually does on it - I'm looking for basic internet.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Netbooks
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
i don't know what you specifically need, but if you want light, fast, and tough under travel then you need a Toughbook CF-18. Got mine for $250 on ebay. 1.1ghz, 1gb of ram, 120gb hdd, wifi, etc etc. Also has tablet mode, which comes in handy. Thing took a drop from two floors up onto pavement and walked away lightly scratched. Last night i forgot it in the driveway and it was frozen in the snow. Let it thaw out in the sink, wiped the wetness off and works perfect.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:03:15 AM »
not too worried about toughness and I'm usually cognizant of my electronics and tend to treat them carefully - unless the bitches act up.  I've been know to throw stuff across the room (like the Storm).
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:00:15 AM »
If you can get a TB for that price, get it.  WAY better than the netbooks. 

I have been paying close attention to the netbook reviews.  If you are set on one, may I ask what you might be tasking it with?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:12:43 AM »
We have a few CF18's. One ran us like 350-400, another a little more, most between 250-300. I have an ebay user i can reccomend, hes a dckbag but the TB's are always top notch and he has a ton of them on hand
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:19:45 AM »
Basically, I'll be using the netbook for internet access and some light work (i.e. word/excel).

TBH, I've been having second thoughts about it, esp since I'll be traveling with my camera and will want to upload photo's and I've become a slave to iPhoto.  But then again I could just transfer them to the netbook for storage and then just move them to my MacBook.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:26:33 AM »
Just to make a point on your latest post, the TB runs PS CS4 no problem. i know your using something different, the point is just the increase in performance over a netbook

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 10:23:38 AM »
I've got a friend who brings a netbook to the clinic to work - don't think I could ever use it...The keyboard is so small, you need claws to type...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 10:36:11 AM »
If someone can get the dimensions on the netbook keyboard i'll measure up the CF-18. It's small, but its doable and i would bet its certainly bigger then the netbook

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »
I've got a friend who brings a netbook to the clinic to work - don't think I could ever use it...The keyboard is so small, you need claws to type...
Definitely something to get used to.  I was using my friend's netbook and this was something I noticed right off the bat.  After a few minutes of use, though, I didn't even notice it anymore.  The screen is something that takes a little longer to get used to though.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
Podcast reviews are kind of hard on netbooks.  Too small (screen and keyboard).  HD video stutters on the best of them.  Assorted complaints about the minimalist hardware and various OSes.