Author Topic: Opera sues Microsoft in the EU over IE  (Read 3155 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Opera sues Microsoft in the EU over IE
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:10:26 AM »
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7332

Opera sues Microsoft in the EU over IE, Windows bundle; CTO makes Web standards case

Opera Software said Thursday it is filing a complaint against Microsoft in the European Union alleging the software giant is abusing its power and tying Internet Explorer to the Windows operating system. Opera also has a beef about Microsoft’s support for Web standards.

In its complaint, Opera argues that:

“Microsoft is abusing its dominant position by tying its browser, Internet Explorer, to the Windows operating system and by hindering interoperability by not following accepted Web standards. Opera has requested the Commission to take the necessary actions to compel Microsoft to give consumers a real choice and to support open Web standards in Internet Explorer.”

Opera argues that Microsoft hasn’t adhered to its own public statements about supporting Web standards. Opera alleges that Microsoft has tried to “embrace, extend and extinguish” these standards. For good measure, Opera’s complaint dings Microsoft on trying to control standards, increasing support cost and exposing users to security risks.

So its another stab at the "bundled monopoly" suit which seems to do well in the EU but I like how they also point out that IE doesn't support web standards!  LOL.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
Re: Opera sues Microsoft in the EU over IE
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »
When I first read the title I thought it said

"Oprah sues Microsoft in the EU over IE"

:p
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »
Isn't that the same reason why Netscape sued them?

Partially.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 11:16:50 PM »

FYI, Norris is endorsing Mike Huckabee
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:18:27 PM »
like that matters, hes chuck norris.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?