Author Topic: DJ-less radio stations  (Read 1449 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
DJ-less radio stations
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »
So a few years back we got a new radio station that started off without DJs but got some after it got established (of course it then moved stations and then formats and now I'm not sure what is doing) and then we got a Jack FM station that doesn't have DJs.  After Christmas another radio station changed formats and doesn't appear to have DJs anymore.

Now sometimes I like DJs as they can be entertaining but most of the time I just want to hear music and not someone jabbering on (hence why I don't listen to talk shows) so in part I like DJ-less stations.  But at the same time I don't like the idea of replacing the human element with a computer that doesn't can't interact with people.  For example, the rock station here has an all request lunch hour and then two weekly shows that is a request based game (You can only request a song that a begins with the last letter of the previous song) that are fun to listen to because you get to hear a lot of the songs that are good but aren't in the regular rotation.

So what do you all think of DJ-less stations?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: DJ-less radio stations
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »
I think there is a place and requirement for a mix of both types of formats.

Many people enjoy talk shows, news feeds, comedy shows, morning and evening shows, and late night shows.  That said, there are plenty of circumstances that people have no use at all for any blabbering at all.  If it isn't a regimented show, I have very little use for some annoying mouth between the cuts.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 01:27:44 PM »
On my way to work though I listen to WCCC 106.9 because I like their morning banter and the main DJ, Sebastian.

On my way home though, I don't really feel like listening to that station because, while they play some music, their evening drive time crew is annyoing and I can't stand listening to them so I tune into the DJ-less 104.1 which plays a lot of 90's Alternative rock that I haven't heard in years (although, they play the same songs over and over again so it can lose its novelty if you listen to long)

When I'm at my desk at work I usually listen to streaming local radio opposed to commercial free music, because I like when they break for news, weather, traffic etc...
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:00:25 PM »
It really sucks, in the morning from 5-10 the station I normally listen to has a talk show going.  No music, just three dumb asses talking.  First, talk radio (not to be confused by talking during a morning show) belongs on AM only, no need to waste stero on that.  Second, when I'm dragging myself to work/school I want to hear music not your damn opinion.

It is funny that they market that the are the most popular morning talk show in the region.  That isn't hard when you are on one of the most popular radio stations and are the only freakin morning talk show on FM (ignoring religious radio stations because they just don't count).