Author Topic: another cord cutting thread  (Read 3575 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
another cord cutting thread
« on: August 19, 2019, 10:57:44 AM »
We attempted to cut the cord this month. And after all the options, we would save less than $15 per month and would have 3 different providers. Comcast handles our internet, cable, and security. When I told them I am ready to cancel them, shy of the internet, they gave me a pretty great deal. $139.96 for all three services across two tvs - this price includes taxes and fees. This is about $45 less than what were paying recently.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: another cord cutting thread
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
oh, plus they gave me stars for free too.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:47:51 PM »
Last year I paid $29.99 for 500 Mbps internet because I called and tried to cancel. Once the 12 months were up, I called again and am now paying $34.99 per month for 1 Gbps internet. Theses plans are around $120 per month on the website. It's insane what they charge and how much of a discount they'll give if you say you are cancelling.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 09:58:42 PM »
We dropped 'cable tv' a while ago.  We were paying ~$155 for tv+internet+1 dvr unit+1 modem.  Now we still get the internet through Spectrum for $70 + $45 for Hulu w/ live tv + $16 for HBO.  We just dropped Netflix and we are considering dropping Amazon prime because Amazon is a terrible company.  So we're paying almost as much as we were but there are benefits to my current setup:

1) Tv in the living room and master bedroom are roku tvs and we have a roku on the tv in the basement, all of which stream everything we want.
2) Hulu has a cloud DVR which is nice and accessible anywhere with no extra devices.
3) Roku interface is awesome regardless of the app you are using.
4) Hulu streaming live is 1000% better than Spectrum streaming options.
5) I can easily upgrade/downgrade Hulu to fit our needs (not the case with Spectrum)
6) The internet with Spectrum now includes a free modem/router combo which is actually a decent device with great range on the wifi.  I have it in my office on the second floor and the kids use it easily in the basement.

So... considering I tried most of the services available, I'm pretty happy.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:43 AM »
Why are you saying that Amazon is a terrible company?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 08:45:24 AM »
Dude, read the fucking news:

1) They pay their workers shit
2) The conditions and pressure in their delivery centers is stupid insane... we don't really need next day or same day delivery.
3) The company doesn't fucking pay federal taxes.  They make billions and don't pay anything in taxes
4) They are literally closing hundreds if not thousands of local businesses. 
5) They do not control their own market.  Do you know how many times people have lifted designs that my wife has made and reposted them on Amazon?  And then Amazon makes it a giant pain in the ass to make a copyright claim and even then doesn't always take shit down and the thief's stores don't get punished... they just take that one design down.  Sometimes.
6) Bezos is a shit person.  You don't have to dig far to figure that out.

Open your eyes.  Amazon makes a lot of stuff really convenient but at what cost?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 09:04:20 AM »
Woah, angry post! I was just asking, dude. My question was not confrontational, I was just curious :) did big Ben have his coffee this morning?

And just FYI - for the most part, I agree. Similar reasons I will rarely step into a Walmart.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Sorry... reading that again, I didn't mean to be that angry about it.  Coincidentally, it was before I finished my coffee.  LOL!

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 01:22:26 AM »
I like amazon. I just got like, 6 things in the mail today from them.  And their delivery service is better then usps/fedex/ups because they text you a picture of your package on your doorstep. You can't beat the prices and you can find anything.  I mean, I'm all for supporting the little guy and I'm not trying to sound like a capitalist asshole, but I don't have a problem with their business model. And their employees pay starts at $15 an hour (at least in Connecticut) so.. I dunno?  I get your point about copyright rip offs though Ben, and that totally sucks.  I could see how that might be a problem thats difficult for them to police.

But anyway, I still shop at walmart too. I mean, you can't beat the prices on so many basic things... groceries, if you really price compare sale items you can find some stuff cheaper elsewhere but on balance, if you did 100% of your shopping at walmart you would save a TON of money.  The main reason I don't shop their all the time is just because of the clientele and the parking lot situation.  It's always so crowded and there is a higher percentage of people (vs the general population) who can't park, can't drive, can't wear normal clothes, can't not talk loudly on their cellphones while shopping, can't control their kids (well, that one includes me) and can't get through a checkout line without starting a fight with either the cashier or someone else in line.  Sometimes, its just nice to go to the quiet mega grocery store down the street.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »
I honestly can't imagine life without Amazon. I buy literally everything there, constantly. Low on dish soap, amazon. Need batteries? Amazon. Furniture covers, amazon. Guitar stands,...  Even if it was cheaper at a local retailer, the chances I find time to actually drive to a store and shop are almost 0. The convenience makes it worthwhile.

I have heard that they work their warehouse staff hard, but I also heard they have great pay and benefits. For someone without an education looking for a labour job, it actually seems pretty good if you can keep up with the pace. It may not be pleasant but I don't know if other warehouse jobs are any different. I worked in a beer warehouse in high school and it was intense. They tracked how many dozen beer per hour you were packing and you got in trouble if your number were low. It was all really crappy because big orders would boost your number and lots of small orders would kill them. It was up to the office staff to hand out the orders so it was really political.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:38:04 PM »
Last year I paid $29.99 for 500 Mbps internet because I called and tried to cancel. Once the 12 months were up, I called again and am now paying $34.99 per month for 1 Gbps internet. Theses plans are around $120 per month on the website. It's insane what they charge and how much of a discount they'll give if you say you are cancelling.

I tried this once... I ended up without the service because they went ahead and cancelled me. :/

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 10:03:34 PM »
I guess I've come to the realization that maybe we shouldn't be paying so little for all these things.  Places like Walmart and Amazon drive prices down because labor gets shifted overseas or the materials are complete bullshit.  I've stopped buying clothes at places like that because they don't last.  They look good for like 2 months and then they've either shrunk so much or they look so worn that it's just not worth it.  I'd rather spend another $10/shirt and have it actually last. 

I don't know... I just think we've all gotten sucked into this 'now and cheap' culture and it's turning us all into garbage collectors and wasteful people.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 02:08:42 AM »
I guess I've come to the realization that maybe we shouldn't be paying so little for all these things.  Places like Walmart and Amazon drive prices down because labor gets shifted overseas or the materials are complete bullshit.  I've stopped buying clothes at places like that because they don't last.  They look good for like 2 months and then they've either shrunk so much or they look so worn that it's just not worth it.  I'd rather spend another $10/shirt and have it actually last. 

I don't know... I just think we've all gotten sucked into this 'now and cheap' culture and it's turning us all into garbage collectors and wasteful people.

Something I've been preaching for a few years now! I will post more tomorrow

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
There is a place for all levels of quality and price points.  What SHOULD have happened years ago is that the US (and others) should be giving OUR corporations the same free shipping perk China has.  Even the playing field a bit.  BTW found a cool clothier in Michigan.  https://www.stormykromer.com  Damn fine quality and very reasonable pricing.