Author Topic: predoing meals  (Read 2787 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
predoing meals
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
So the last few months I've been eating like shit and it is really getting to me.  So I am determined to turn it around.  Now my main problem is that I'm a lazy SOB and due to make school schedule I'm not getting home until at least 7pm on four days of the week (this is combined with starting work at 6/6:30am) and really don't feel like cooking at that time.

So what I was thinking of doing was to cook up a bunch of food and then package them up so I can pull out a few containers and have a meal's worth.  Then it would just require reheating.

Has anyone tried this before?  Did it work well or not?  Anything I should do or avoid doing?

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: predoing meals
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:44:07 PM »
My mom does it all the time for us, but I'm guessing the kinds of meals we have might differ from the normal American family.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:59:26 PM »
I used to do this all the time when I lived by myself.  It's great as long as you don't mind eating the same thing a few days in a row.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »
Well I was planning on going and getting some fish and chicken and then cooking it up with different sauces and stuff.  I was also planning on grabing a bunch of different frozen veggie bags so hopefully the only thing that'd be the same in possibly the rice (which I really need to find a place to get brown rice in a good quantity).

I'm gonna give it a try and see how it works.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 07:00:36 PM »
Oh, yeah, that's definitely good then.

It should be pretty easy to find rice, I'd think, especially in Cali.  Asian groceries, hippie grocery stores, Costco, etc.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »
White rice is easy to find (costco sells it in like 50lb bags).  Brown Rice you can find but they all come in like 2 or 3lb bags.  And I'm lazy so if I can buy a 6 month supply at a time then I will :P

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »
I do it fairly often. I don't do it in a deliberate way, I just cook what I'm going to eat one night in a much bigger portion, 3 or 4 meals worth, then put the remains in takeaway containers (you probably don't get them, our takeaways come in small plastic tubs) and freeze them. I then just cook rise, pasta or vegetables on the night I'm going to eat it.

I also find keeping lots of chopped tomato's, garlic, rice, pasta and other common ingredients around helps. I try to pick up a premade pasta bake sauce or two whenever I'm in the supermarket for when I run out of food / can't be bothered cooking.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »
You can definitely find larger bags of brown rice if you go to an asian grocery store.