Author Topic: JT - Sweet Baby James (Instructional Vid)  (Read 1830 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
JT - Sweet Baby James (Instructional Vid)
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:46:29 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE9sWn6JfD4

Found this last night. Pretty good actually. One of my favorite James Taylor songs. I've been looking for songs to expand my repertoire and sing along with that people might actually be familiar with.

Thought I'd say for those other acoustic players around here.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: JT - Sweet Baby James (Instructional Vid)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:13:18 AM »
Mmm. Never really paid attention to the chords along the bottom. I just picked out what he was playing by the hand position. That's the way I've learned from other people is just by watching their hands. I have the official transcriptions as well but I was never very good at reading sheet music (tab or otherwise). I learn much quicker when someone shows it to me. Not to mention half the time I couldn't tell you what chord I'm playing anyways. That's my dad's talent, but he studied music theory.

Lately I've been watch a bunch of Stefan Grossman instructional vids. They're very good.

So minus a few points for the annotations being wrong in the video but the format works pretty well I think. All the different angles and stuff.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 10:25:21 AM »
>Not to mention half the time I couldn't tell you what chord I'm playing anyways.

I'm like that too, I play so many variations of chords without the slightest idea what they'd be called.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:36:45 PM »
I've been playing a lot more with chord variations lately, but I find it extremely difficult to figure out what chord someone else is playing just by watching them play it unless it's a very basic chord. :/