Author Topic: Speaker for the dead by Orson Scot Card  (Read 3927 times)

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
Speaker for the dead by Orson Scot Card
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:38:01 AM »
Has anybody read it? I really liked Enders game (read it like 2 years ago) and I was thinking of picking this book up because i need my scifi fix more than ever after my disappointment in Mission Earth (see: http://forums.entropysink.com/index.php?topic=2690.0)

I read that it was more philosiphical and less action packed than the first one but I dont know how much of a problem that would be.
i have a stationary fetish

Stephen

• Jackass IV
Re: Speaker for the dead by Orson Scot Card
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:52:33 PM »
It's such a good book. I preferred it to Ender's Game (though I preferred Xenocide more). Everything in the Ender saga besides Ender's Game is more speculative/philosophical/whatever than action packed, but they're still great. If you're into the more action-based stuff, Ender's Shadow and it's respective series is really good as well.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 03:13:11 PM »
> It's such a good book. I preferred it to Ender's Game (though I preferred Xenocide more).

You have the opposite opinion of anyone I've ever talked to about that series.

Ender's Game is great, Speaker is good, Xenocide is ok, and Children of the Mind is godawful

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 03:22:09 PM »
It's because I have better taste in literature than others.

Just kidding, haha. I didn't like Children of the Mind at all, either. But I loved Xenocide for some reason. I dunno. I'm weird.

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 07:51:28 PM »
so...is it worth my AU$20?
i have a stationary fetish

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »
I'd say no way.  Go to a library or get the paperback.

Gametaku

• Founders
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 10:34:30 PM »
Well, I've just finished reading Speaker for he Dead having read ender's game earlier this year.  My option of it is a good book, not as great a enders game but a good book non the less.  What is the book is not is Ender's Game Two: Kill more buggers.   As overthrown pointed out, this book is more philosophical then enders game, and definitly did not have me turn the pages wondering what ender would do next, but instead wondering what would happen next in the story.    This book, the end of this book more specficly, is very optomistic, in fact it's to optomsistic

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 12:17:16 AM »
I've read them all and really enjoy them.  Ender's Game is one of my absolute favorites of all time - partly nostalgic I'm sure.  For the longest time I didn't like any of the sequals, but I reread them a couple years ago and I really enjoyed them all - even Children of the Mind (it's kinda "psychy" I guess).

However, I've also become a huge fan of Ender's Shadow.  Has anyone else read it?  Card finially decided there was money in going back to the action packed middle school thriller style of Ender's Game.  It retells Ender's Game from Bean's point of view.  It's really interesting to hear about Bean's history and to see the story from another angle.  I think Card did a really great job of fitting it all together.  It has either 3 or 4 follow ups - all of the more action inclined style.  I've read 3 of them, I'm going to try and reread them all and add the 4th after I finish student teaching.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 12:39:33 AM »
Ender's Shadow was really good, as was Shadow of the Hegemon. My brother finished Shadow of the Giant today and says he rather enjoyed it. Card's supposedly writing a final book to tie the two series together? That would be quite nice.

Gametaku

• Founders
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 06:39:36 AM »
Yesterday, I managed to finish Xenocide and I agree with Overthrown that it was better then speaker of the dead.  This book definitly cast hummanity more realsticly.  Also the converstations beteen Rooter and the hive queen were fairly interesting.