Author Topic: the most punk star  (Read 13042 times)

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
the most punk star
« on: June 17, 2005, 07:41:59 PM »
So it turns out the most punk star -- from a list which includes Eminem and Johnny Cash -- was the singer of the Sex Pistols, one of the first punk bands. I hate polls like these. And most mainstream media coverage of punk in general. Another example:

Even churches are supporting the once rebellious sport. Presbyterians
and evangelicals, as well as a Mennonite congregation in Bowmansville,
Pa., have all built skate parks in recent years, Ms. Lemmon said. That
means anarchic punk by Fugazi is out, and Christian bands like Radial
Angel are in.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/12/fashion/sundaystyles/12skate.html?8hpib

I don't know where they pulled Fugazi from in reference to skate parks, but they're not anarchic. They don't even allow moshing. Why do newspapers group every punk band together with every punk stereotype? They should just avoid talking about what they don't know.

here's the yahoo article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050617/ennew_afp/afplifestylemusic_050617172759
LONDON (AFP) - Sex Pistols singer
John Lydon has been voted the "most punk" star ever in a poll which illustrates the broad nature of the term by also including the likes of Cuban revolutionary hero Che Guevara and footballer Eric Cantona.

The poll of listeners to Britain's Radio 1, the BBC's pop and rock station, was commissioned to mark the 30th anniversary of the first concert by the Sex Pistols, the band credited with launching the punk revolution.

The four-piece -- in which Lydon was then known as Johnny Rotten -- were probably the best-known exponents of punk, an angry, simplistic musical and fashion aesthetic seen as a reaction to the often turgid music of the early 1970s.

Released Friday, the punk poll had Lydon just ahead of the late Joe Strummer, singer with The Clash, the other seminal British punk act of the era.

Third was Hunter S. Thompson, the recently-deceased US journalist and author who, despite his lack of connection of music, was revered in the rock world for his anarchic approach.

Other musicians on the list include Lydon's bandmate Sid Vicious, late US country music superstar Johnny Cash, rapper Eminem and Oasis singer Liam Gallagher.

Among the non-musicians were Guevara, at eight, and French footballer Cantona in 20th place.

Two women made it into the top 20: fashion designer Vivienne Westwood, who was closely associated with the punk scene, and British modern artist Tracy Emin.

groovitude

• some hip cat
  • Founders
the most punk star
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:46:28 PM »
Yeah, 'cause Eminem... is... punk... and so is... Johnny... Cash...

... Let me go soak my head in bleach and get back to you all.
A sophism of madness...

salvelinus

• Founders
the most punk star
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 09:38:44 PM »
I was there for punk, and that was a lot of my music growing up.
Sex Pistols were an influential group, manipulated by a hypemaster. But "punk rock" started before that.
There were no Sex Pistols before the Ramones toured England. The Ramones themselves weren't trying to be "punk", just getting back to 3-4 chord rock basics.
The Clash got lumped in with punk rock because they weren't the arena rock of the time (maybe that works for most punk rock bands).
The Ramones didn't start punk rock. Lou Reed, New York Dolls helped, but they didn't start it.
If you have to categorize music, punk rock is just a reaction against formula, bombastic crap. Buddy Holley was a punk rocker for his time.
There's a lot of crap put out now under the name of punk rock, or punk with various qualifiers. Bullshit.
I was there, and part of, what most people think of as punk rock. I suppose you can redefine it now, when Ramones tunes once seen as unfit for radio are now used as jingles for Pepsi commercials, but that's not punk, motherfuckers.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
the most punk star
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 09:39:05 PM »
The top few on the list are good.  But Liam Gallagher?   the fuck?

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
the most punk star
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 11:43:06 PM »
Dave Marsh coined the term "punk rock" in 1971 while writing an article on early 60's garage rock band ? & the Mysterians.  To me the term has been misapplied ever since.