Author Topic: New television machine (Smart TV)  (Read 2295 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
New television machine (Smart TV)
« on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
My parents were in town visiting and wanted to buy an x-mas present for me and my wife while they were here. They also wanted to get me a graduation present, so they offered to buy us a new TV since our bedroom had an (empty) TV wall mount and our only TV was in the living room.

We got a 50" LG Smart LED, 120Hz. Holy crap this thing is awesome. The image quality is amazing and the size is perfect. The thing that surprised me the most is how good the smart features were. The only reason we got the smart version was because it was on sale for the same price as the regular one. I sort-of thought I'd use netflix and nothing else, but the browser is actually really good. I can stream from network sites (from the browser) in full screen HD. There's also a lot of apps that look pretty good, haven't had a lot of time to play with them yet though.

The other cool thing is the smart remote. You point at the TV and have a mouse-like cursor which is actually quite precise. The remote also has a microphone and the voice recognition is great. I just hit the button and say "watch colbert report on ctv", select "Web results" from the options (it also searches apps and local content), and can click on the link to watch. There are also gestures I haven't tried yet. Apparently you can also wirelessly show content from a phone or tablet with the TV. Haven't tried that yet either.

Only complaint is that there is no VGA connection. Now I have to go buy an HDMI adapter to connect my laptop.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: New television machine (Smart TV)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
If it has a webcam, you might want to put something over it when you're not using it.  I just saw the other night how people can hack those and you won't even know you're being watched.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: New television machine (Smart TV)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
If it has a webcam, you might want to put something over it when you're not using it.  I just saw the other night how people can hack those and you won't even know you're being watched.

It has support for it but the actual hardware is an add-on. I'd definitely be taping that up if it had one.