Author Topic: New headphones ath-m50x  (Read 3791 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
New headphones ath-m50x
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:36:15 AM »
Just ordered a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x. They had a nice deal on Amazon recently and I was looking to try something other than my usual Sony MDR-7506's. Overall I'm pretty happy with them out of the box, they feel very nice and sound good. I still need a bit of time to really get a feel for them but overall I'd say they're a bit more neutral in general (to the Sony's) but with a decent bass kick. I need to see what they sound against my older ATH-M40fs ones. Specs say they're a bit heavier but they feel very comfortable. Best I can describe is the feeling like getting into a nice car with leather interior, that kind of feel. The sound isolation sounds just a shade better too. I read the M40x ones were supposed to be a bit less bassy. They do sound like they're "missing" something in the lower-mids but that might just be the neutral sound vs the slightly hyped up sound I'm used to from the Sony's or maybe the slight extra bass throwing off the balance just a bit for me.

Thumbs up so far, we'll see what they sound like against the reference M40fs tomorrow.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: New headphones ath-m50x
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:15:09 AM »
For the price they are pretty amazing.  Nice pick IMO.

They should have a tighter more controlled response than the Sony set.  You will likely hear more of the speed of the attack on drums, guitar strings, horns and the like.  The downside it they can be a little too forward and may (differs person to person of course) be a little fatiguing, also, for some reason that line has small ear cups.  If you find that you are comfortable listening to individual cuts all the way through without always wanting to jump to the next song, it isn't a negative for you, but if you do it is something to consider as a new owner.  AT is a great brand and a number of their models are exceptionally popular in recording studios due to the clamping force, price point, and neutrality.  Though relatively easy to drive this set will benefit from an DAC/Amp.

I will be interested in what you determine.  I am sure you will dig the realism that they bring fun, fun, fun! 

Keep us in the loop.  :thumbsup:

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:38:50 PM »
Got any preferences for portable (non wired) headphone amps? Maybe in the sub $100 range?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »
This may help a bit.  If not let me know and I will help you work something out.

http://www.entropysink.com/forums/index.php?topic=13128.msg153484#msg153484

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 11:52:57 PM »
So these aren't nearly as neutral as the M40fs. I'd almost call them a bit punchy. I'm really liking them though for casual listing. There's still something missing in the low mid area but overall I think they're pretty good for the money. The earcups are just a bit larger too so they feel nice on the ears and don't get quite as warm as with my Sony's for extended listening sessions.

On a side note, one of my favorite test tracks is Dire Straits - Private Investigations, right around the 3min mark.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:02:23 AM »
That whole album is fairly amazing.  Private Investigations is awesome and my personal favorite.