Author Topic: Theater shooting  (Read 20289 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Theater shooting
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
Sad sad sad. Some psycho throws a gas canister into a theatre then opens fire on the people inside. :(
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ten-killed-denver-movie-shooting-local-radio-083043066.html

One of the girls killed in the attack was in the Toronto Eaton Centre minutes before a random shooting attack happened last month.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/jessica-redfield-killed-dark-knight-rises-shooting-narrowly-142258973.html
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:40:40 PM by charlie »

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Dark night shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
>>One of the girls killed in the attack was in the Toronto Eaton Centre minutes before a random shooting attack happened last month.

Thats some final destination stuff right there. Denver should allow their CCW holders to carry inside movie theaters and stadiums for just this reason, criminals will always do it. Though in this case I would be fearful of a citizen who means well firing under the effects of tear gas and simply making it worse.

In any event I hope they tie his nuts to the bumper of a truck and cruise down main street.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:55 PM »
tragic. I heard that on the news driving in to work today and it got me very upset.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
Let's expand on this for a moment, because Ashley and I were talking about this earlier and it created an interesting question that I would like to put forth to you. I'll try not to make it too long.

If you were in that theater, and if you were in a position to TRY and help stop the attacker....would you? Consider that for a moment. Now I think I'm the only one here (except Micah, if his license ever came) who carries a firearm, so perhaps I should be the most likely to jump up and say I would. But after the incident at Walmart and talking to a lot of very smart people, my position has actually changed here.

For me, I would take cover with my family as best I could, but I would not step in unless absolutely necessary to protect my family. The reason being self preservation. Not long ago an ATF agent was off duty, and a guy was robbing a bank. He waited quietly, then followed the man outside, pulled his gun, and ordered him to the ground. The man complied.

Just then two on duty police officers excited a bakery next door (lol, bakery), pulled their weapons, and shouted at the agent, not knowing who he was. The agent turned their direction and the rookie officer shot him in the head, killing him.

So many things can go wrong, I'm not sure I could protect another citizen going forward. I would like to say that in a massive attack such as this I would at least attempt to put him down, but I would be afraid of missing, getting sued, drawing attention to my family, etc.

So, how would you handle this situation?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
So I assume we're saying we're packing in this scenario? 

I'd would be too afraid of hitting other civilians in the process so I would probably cover and protect those around me the best I could.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
Thats the theater I saw Spider Man at last week :(

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
I'd stop imagining I'm some sort of commando and get my family the heck out of there as fast as I could.  What are you going to do to cover your family with this gun that you've already committed to not shooting?  by the time the guy turns towards you the bullet's already coming.  You're not going to be able to do much at that point.

> Thats the theater I saw Spider Man at last week

Wow

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »
My first instinct would be to try to stop him if there was a reasonable opening where I thought I could. But (a) who knows if I would actually do that in the heat of the moment and (b) I don't know if I'd actually want to risk myself because of how it would affect my family.

(And I'm assuming I don't have a gun here.)

Wow

+1 :(

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: Theater shooting
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

holy crap.  That's scary.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
So I assume we're saying we're packing in this scenario? 

However you want to imagine the situation. A lot of people would say they may attempt to tackle the guy.

I'd stop imagining I'm some sort of commando and get my family the heck out of there as fast as I could.  What are you going to do to cover your family with this gun that you've already committed to not shooting?  by the time the guy turns towards you the bullet's already coming.  You're not going to be able to do much at that point.

Wow

I'm operating on the assumption, given the effects of tear gas, limited exists, and mass panic that simply exiting may not be an option. I'm assuming he is firing randomly at people who are running nearby making easy targets. Tucking down behind some distant chairs away from the masses may be the safest bet, and in my case shooting while taking fire away from my family would be the backup plan.

Intense. Though statistically I doubt you would need to worry. Thats the same as being #2 at the green light and #1 gets nailed by someone running their red.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »
Denver should allow their CCW holders to carry inside movie theaters and stadiums for just this reason, criminals will always do it.

And you don't see any irony in this statement whatsoever?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
Denver should allow their CCW holders to carry inside movie theaters and stadiums for just this reason, criminals will always do it.

Not at all. When you restrict law abiding citizens you do nothing. The criminals clearly do not care about the gun laws, so all they are doing is disarming good citizens.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

Wow

+1 on both statements.

ust then two on duty police officers excited a bakery next door (lol, bakery), pulled their weapons, and shouted at the agent, not knowing who he was. The agent turned their direction and the rookie officer shot him in the head, killing him.

I haven't heard about that story, can you link me to it?>
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 01:56:07 PM »

Not at all. When you restrict law abiding citizens you do nothing. The criminals clearly do not care about the gun laws, so all they are doing is disarming good citizens.

Great. Let me know how that works for you.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »

Terrifying.  Glad you're okay....everyone you know okay?Such an awful tragedy.  Feel awful for everyone....

I'd would be too afraid of hitting other civilians in the process so I would probably cover and protect those around me the best I could.

Duh...

Great. Let me know how that works for you.

Check the news...you can see there...I was dreading this thread because I knew where it would go....Must we run around in these same circles?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own