Author Topic: Theater shooting  (Read 20292 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Theater shooting
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:57 PM »
I'm actually very in agreement with you. Except one part:

>> I imagine using a gun in defense takes a ton of training and judgement.

In the context of this conversation (the child being home alone alot) I don't think that statement it true. Well in the home it is rarely true. If you are in the home and you feel someone means you harm and they have come into your home all you need to know is point and shoot.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2012, 10:30:05 PM »
Anytime you're about to take an action of potentially grave consequences (pun intended) that can't be reversed...it should take a lot of judgement and nerves.  I don't know a 12 year old I'd trust with that (definitely not this one).  Go hide and call 911....if whoever is invading wants the kid dead....well they're probably fucked no matter...more likely, they want stuff - and a kid can probably find a decent place to hide....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »
Well that is going to vary with each circumstance. The principal of survival at any cost should be universal across home invasion situations though :)
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
It must suck to live in fear. Meanwhile I sleep soundly every night secure in the knowledge that gun crime in the UK is a rarity. :)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 06:41:04 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1576406/28-gun-crimes-committed-in-UK-every-day.html

You presumably read  the article you linked to?

While gun-related deaths were down, from 55 to 49, the number of slight injuries, threats and non-injury incidents linked to guns increased.

That's 49 PER YEAR.

There are 10 gun related crimes committed in Houston Texas daily, which only has 2.2 million people.

Note the article relates to gun CRIME - including illegally held firearms, licensing issues  etc. 28 per day in a population of circa 60 million? I think I'll take my chances, thanks.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »
Well that is going to vary with each circumstance. The principal of survival at any cost should be universal across home invasion situations though :)

So should the principal that sometimes kids get overly scared over overly small things that experience can tell you are no big deal....
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
It must suck to live in fear. Meanwhile I sleep soundly every night secure in the knowledge that gun crime in the UK is a rarity. :)

So you think guns are only needed for gun on gun defense? I bet knife and misc weapon attacks are not that rare, and if you have ever trained in hand to hand knife defense you would know a gun is a great tool in that situation. Even with a gun you are likely going to be cut or stabbed.

So should the principal that sometimes kids get overly scared over overly small things that experience can tell you are no big deal....

Very good point. In just about every state they would be legally protected inside the home, so I guess it comes down to would you rather they over react and kill someone, or not have access and be killed.

Tough call.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
So you think guns are only needed for gun on gun defense? I bet knife and misc weapon attacks are not that rare, and if you have ever trained in hand to hand knife defense you would know a gun is a great tool in that situation. Even with a gun you are likely going to be cut or stabbed.

You still don't get it. If guns were legal here we would have exactly the same problem as you do.

Name me one case where 12 people were killed and many more injured in a cinema by a guy with a knife.

I've never felt the need for training in hand to hand anything, but I live in a country where idiots* don't walk into cinemas packing.

*On either side of the law.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
Aw, does rod want to take away private business owners' rights of not allowing patrons to bring weapons into their establishment?

Not at all, it is their right to post all of the signs they want. In most states those signs actually carry no legal weight at all, you can still carry. If a employee spots your handgun and asks you to leave, though, you have to leave or return it to your car. Every business owner has the right to care for their business as they see fit. Maybe they are anti gun, it doesn't matter it is their business. I know a guy who is very pro gun and owns a tee shirt printing business. He has a no firearms sign posted because he keeps his gun on him to protect the business and does not want someone coming in and playing cowboy or getting shot in a mixup.

Believe it or not, rod, the vast majority of people don't want to carry guns around with them. no matter what their stance on gun control is.

No disagreement here, and I don't recall ever saying they should have too or even want too. That is the beauty of America, it is their decision! All I said was that the state should allow them the option too carry in stadiums, theaters, etc because the state has no business saying they cannot. If the property owner says it, different story. But again criminals ignore these signs, so it does nothing but disarm the good guys.

My underlying issue is with the states that pass the laws to keep guns out of specific places where large groups of people gather. They establish requirements to deem CPL holders as the good guys, trustworthy and honest and trained in firearms and safety. So if you are going to go through all of that to issue a CPL stop restricting it on oxymoron theories.

I will find my book later and post the exact location, date, and details of the following statement, I just can't now because it's on my dresser and Ashley is asleep. There was an incident at a cafe, in Texas I believe, where a man drove his truck into the building, then got out and began shooting innocent people. He killed something like 9 people in just a few seconds. A man who had been in the bathroom exited to see what was happening, pulled his handgun and shot the man, killing him. He saved an estimated 15 lives that could potentially have been lost, and several were able to be treated because he ended the assault.

The guy hated guns, but wanted to protect himself. Likely would not have gone so well in the Denver shooting, but we won't know.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »
The issue is not with the guns Rob, your country is simply different. The people in our country and our society in general is broken and wacked out. If we switched populations right now America would be as calm as the UK and the UK would be a chaotic mess. We could flood the UK with guns tomorrow and the crime increase would be moderate and comprised of petty stickups and robberies. To compare our two cultures and the reasons why guns are irrelevant would take days and go far beyond the scope of my original point with this thread.

As for the knife, there is no denying the difference in sheer damage capability between it and the gun. The point I was making is that just because guns are not all over in the UK does not mean you are anymore safe than we are. It also does not mean we are safe simply because we have them.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2012, 11:53:34 AM »
I disagree with you that our countries are that fundamentally different.....

....as for the 12 year old....I think it's much more likely that a 12 year old with over react and hurt someone during a non-invasion event than it is that they would be hurt in a home invasion (except one whose purpose is to kill the kid - but at that point, they're already fucked).

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2012, 02:57:03 PM »
There was an incident at a cafe, in Texas I believe, where a man drove his truck into the building, then got out and began shooting innocent people. He killed something like 9 people in just a few seconds. A man who had been in the bathroom exited to see what was happening, pulled his handgun and shot the man, killing him. He saved an estimated 15 lives that could potentially have been lost, and several were able to be treated because he ended the assault.

You're seriously, without a trace of irony, holding this up as an example of why carrying guns is a good thing?

:rofl2: :disbelief: :suicide:

Do me a favour Steve. Think carefully for a moment, and tell me how many people would have died if no-one in the situation you describe was carrying a gun?

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
The issue is not with the guns Rob, your country is simply different. The people in our country and our society in general is broken and wacked out. If we switched populations right now America would be as calm as the UK and the UK would be a chaotic mess. We could flood the UK with guns tomorrow and the crime increase would be moderate and comprised of petty stickups and robberies. To compare our two cultures and the reasons why guns are irrelevant would take days and go far beyond the scope of my original point with this thread.

Really? Google Hungerford and Dunblane, and then tell me I'm wrong.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
on a side note: Ethic, people like this guy must be giving your kind a bad name...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.